Stroke Community
Loss of peripheral vision

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Loss of peripheral vision

I have suffered a stroke two weeks ago, a minor one i am ok but i have lost my peripheral vision to my left, in my left eye hopefully it will come back in time. has anyone else suffered this is there anything i can do to regain my full sight becuase at the moment i will loose my driving licence the way it is?
Hi Mark,
I am glad your stroke was minor. You seem to be doing well for it only happening 2 weeks away. Your eye peripheral problem is probably from the stroke. I am not a doctor obviously, but I also had that problem after my stroke. It still pops up now and then even after a year. When it happens, first don't panic, that is the worst thing. When I feel that coming on, I will take an aspirin, a fish oil capsule and a full glass of water and it always goes away. If your eye problem is chronic, you should see a doctor, also, are you diabetic? That could be another symptom with eye problems. Try to drink as much water as you can and try to use salt sparingly, especially since you already had a mini-stroke.

If your eye vision (I call it half blind) keeps happening it could be a symptom of another stroke. Try aspirin, fish oil and water if you don't already. It may fix the problem.

God Bless,
Tim
There is no way for them to predict whether your eyesight will improve after a stroke.  Hopefully, you will be lucky.  It is always possible that it will return to normal or at least improve. You say it has only been a couple of weeks--it needs time if it is going to come back.  My mother was recently in the same situation. Unfortunately, she had other problems with her eyes, so she didnt have the best eyesight to begin with. Then, the stroke stole alot of the eyesight she had left. The doctor said it might return, but when she went to several eye specialists, they said it would not return after a stroke.  You will just have to wait and see if it improves. The very best thing you can do now, is be careful about your diet and meds so you can prevent another stroke from stealing more of your eyesight
thankyou
Hi I had stroke  6 week ago and which affected my peripheral vision as well on the left. Can you please tell your got better or peripheral vision come back?