Stroke Community
Lucunar infarct

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Lucunar infarct

I am 55 yrs old and on 3/23/13 I suffered a stroke and received TPA and 85% of my right sided deficit returned. I spent 3 days in a neuro ICU and then discharged on 81mg of asprin. On 4/24/13 I suffered another lucunar infarct and was discharged on Aggranox SA BID. Only deficit was weakness of right arm and hand. On 5/11/13 I suffered a severe headache, that went away in about 4 hours and 800mg of Motrin. I also suffered a vision loss for 1.5hrs in the right eye but it did return. On 5/12/13 I suffered another severe headache that lasted about 4 hours and 800mg of Motrin. On 5/13/13 I got a severe headache that woke me at 4:30am and I did go to the ER and was then admitted. Today is 5/15/13 and I have continued to have the headaches and they are medicating me with Dilaudid 1mg IV q6h prn. The neurologist seeing me is insisting that I am having Migraines and I do not believe that is what this is because I have not known migraines to cause weakness in the right side or vision loss. Can you give me some suggestions?
Thank you
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It’s sad that while on therapy you suffered another stroke. But it is difficult to judge just how much blood thinners are enough. As excess can lead to bleeding tendencies. Therapy with Aggrenox is known to cause headaches, so this could be the reason for your headaches. There are entities called hemiplegic migraine and Ophthalmoplegic migraine, which can cause paralysis. Therapy for this is with calcium channel blockers like verapamil and also with anti-epileptic medications. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.