Stroke Community
MRI results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

MRI results

I was admitted to hospital with a suspected stroke as a result of symptoms of numbness down my right side. I am male 54 years old , smoker with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I was given the results of my MRI but no explanation was given, just sent home. These are the results, can anyone throw light on this. " there are two small flow foci of restricted diffusion in the dorsal left pons in keeping with small acute areas of infarction. Elsewhere there are a few small foci of high signal intensity in the supratentorial white matter and ill defined high signal density on pons which are in keeping with mild ventral small vessel disease. No other abnormalities.
Thank you for any help.
It's unlikely anyone on this site can interpret your results.  If it was a TIA, 1/3 of them do have a later stroke.   But you have a much higher risk of having a stroke anyway.  

What you can do is to call back the hospital or the doctor and ask them what the MRI means.  It would probably be most helpful if you made an appointment with a doctor.   You note several of the high risk factors to have a stroke and there are other risk factors.  You might try getting some help with lowering your risk factors.  Why aren't you taking statins to lower your cholesterol?  Why aren't you taking blood pressure medication?  Quitting smoking is far far more difficult, but with help you might be able to beat that one too.

Looking at the postings you can see how terrible a stroke can be.   I've had one and am quite disabled, but I can do more than a lot of other people.  Or strokes can be fatal.  

Take care.
Dear Sara,
Thank you so much for your reply and sorry for being so late in responding.
My problem has turned out to be two areas of my brain being affected by a blood block and causing death of that part of my brain that was deprived of blood.
Smoking has been a major factor in this and I am glad to say that I have now stopped smoking for two weeks !!
The numbness has almost gone.
I am now on blood thinning medicine, statins and two blood pressure medications.
As you say, I have been very lucky as it could have been so much worse.
Once again I really appreciate your reply.
Best wishes,
James
How terrific for you!!!  I mean it.  You deserve a lot of credit.  Thanks for the great update.  
Good news that you stop smoking, good luck and keep on watching your health, stroke is a very bad thing that can happen anyone of us.

regards,
spongbobah