Stroke Community
MRI stroke/TIA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

MRI stroke/TIA

my little brother had open heart surgery when he was 3 1/2 months old (ASD, VSD and pda ligation) in may last year 2011, he was having numbess in one leg or both in one arm or both or all 4.  my mom was told anxiety. this also happened for 1/2 of June, then one night  all of us boys were in my room "camping" out and having a great time. my baby brother (there is 12 1/2 years in age difference between us he is now 8 almost 9 this was when he was 7) any way he was complaining that his lungs felt heavy and his head hurt. mom told him he will be okay to try to lay down (it was 8pm and she doesn't believe im shoving medicine down our throats at the first complaint of pain) about 1 hour later he said he felt worse so she gave him motrin and his nebulizer treatments.. he came back to my room and sacked out on the floor. mom came in a little while later to check and he pulled himself up to a chair his left leg was wobbly and right up in turned in. he couldn't wa'l nor talk trying to do both but only saying ca ca ca. about 10 minutes later he said his right side was numb. mom put hin to bed and then 2 days later said OMG I think he had a stroke. she called the doctors and they reassured her it was anxiety. school started and my borhter was very smart the top of his class at the end of first grade, when he started 2nd grade he can't even spell WAS (WUZ) after 10 months of fighting with doctors a MRI was given tohim lo and behold he had a stroke inthe left basil ganglia.. he is weak on the right side and has issues with short term memory.  the docotr said it looks like the stroke was when he had his open heart surgery. my question if anyone can help is why did he have the signs of a stroke last year (has had no signs since then) and has now had the effects since that one day in June. mom talked to the people with TBI associatin and they said that it sounds like in May and part of June he was having TIAs that led up to his stroke and if taht was the case it would show as if he did have an old stroke  is this true can anyone help? it is important to know as I am terrified that he will have another one.. My brothers are the world to me and I don't want to loose him they said they can't find a reason for his stroke..
Thank you
big brother
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Understand your predicament. The possibilities are he had a stroke during surgery, from which he had recovered. In a study done as many as five percent of cardiac surgery patients, suffered from significant loss of controlled movement or speech caused by  an interruption of blood flow to the brain during surgery. Next what he suffered from could be TIAs as he kept recovering from them. The final episode could have been a stroke, as it persisted.

If he is on blood thinners due to the cardiac surgery, his INR needs to be constantly monitored. If it is an ischemic stroke, he may need blood thinners to help improve the blood flow. And he should continue with physical therapy and follow up regularly with his doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.