Stroke Community
Massive Stroke and Phenergan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Massive Stroke and Phenergan

My 84 year old Grandmother just suffered a massive stroke and is in a coma/resting state, been in this state for 3 days now.  It effected the whole right hemisphere and a part of the left. She has also lost movement on her left side.  The first day she ws in this coma she ws moving her body a lot probably because they gave her a medication by the name of PHENERGAN she was allergic to.  The second day she started trying to talk kind of groaning.  Now the third day she opened her eyes for about 5 minutes and her pupils moved. Does anyone know if these could be signs that shes going to get out of this resting state and get better?  Also what are common symptoms she will go through if she gets through this?

PHENERGAN

Starting from the beginning.  Originally my grandmas heart beat was really low about 30, she was taken into the hospital and the dr. pernamently put a heart pacer in her. After that a day later they said they were going to relase her in a couple of days and she was completely fine laughing, smiling and communicating.  Then the Doctors made a mistake by giving her a medication she was allergic to named Phenergan. They also made this same mistake in the past. After this mistake she fell asleep and was unable to wake up shes been asleep and unresponsive now for three days shes moving her right part of her body a  lot and the Doctor has said she has suffered a massive stroke due to a blood clot in her brain and she severe brain damage.  Could this have all been related to the phenergan she was allergic to>?
Hi Shelly

Sorry to hear about your grandmother's stroke :(

I don't know if the phenergan is related.  It's an antihistamine.

Regarding her stroke, it is very very early days.  Her brain needs time to heal from its massive injury.  Our brain's heal when we rest, so she is going to need a lot of rest.  Assuming all goes well medically, she has a long road ahead of her to recover what she can.  Please continue to love & support her, she needs you.

HTH

Sue