Stroke Community
Massive stroke and no response

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Massive stroke and no response

Hello my sister age had a massive stroke 2 weeks ago, she opened her eyes after 6 days but she is unresponsive, she stares but has no response to anything, our voices, noise etc. Dr's have said they have very little hope that she will come back but we will never ever give up.

She had a heart attack and stroke,  and I do believe she is fighting as she is still with us when we were told she would not survive one day. We are continuing to talk to her and play her favorite music.

Has anyone heard of someone waking up but being unresponsive? I know no one can say if she can ghet better but I guess I'm just looking for someone to talk to and people who understand. It is so heartbreaking and I can't stop crying but I also know I have to be strong and think positive.
They should be able to look at the CT  or MRI scans and see where the dead areas are. Based on that they should be able to tell you something, but they won't, they use the excuse 'All strokes are different, all stroke recoveries are different'
My sister has been moved to...let's say a hospital where not much is being done...they say the damage is permanent, she had a stroke on the left side of her brain then another massive one on the right side, they removed several clots surgically, one had moved to the front lobe. We will never think the damage is permanent, read too many stories where things can change..

My sister cannot understand a lot and is combative towards the nurses when they try to do anything, her left arm is worse than the right side, she can sometimes say a few muddled words but has started staring in to space again, they are going to put a feeding tube(?) in to her stomach again, it is in her nose right now, she can walk wobbly with assistance.

The hospital staff are either playing dumb or just don't want to say anything which is driving everyone crazy. She needs 24 hour care so cannot go home.

Thoughts anyone?? thank you in advance.
My mom has the same feeding  tube, don't worry about that, is better than feeding her through the nose, you get used to it and is much less complicated.
She's walking with assistance?  that is great! Physical therapy should help her a lot.  
The left side, depending on the exact location, affects language skills.  You should find out exactly where the damaged area is to understand better what her recovery path should be. Some damage IS permanent, but that doesn't mean recovery is impossible.  Recovery from strokes focuses on "teaching" other parts of your brain to do the job that the damaged parts no longer can.  It is not easy and it takes a lot of time and effort, but some abilities are developed again.  
I'm really no expert, I just talk based on my experience with my mom and we have always believed that recovery is possible to a certain degree.  Good luck.