Stroke Community
My Dad's Brain stem Stroke, 9 months later

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My father had a brain stem stroke last July.He was in the hospital for a while, then to avute rehab, and then home for outpatient rehab.He can not talk, and he can not walk.All he can do is sit in a chair, all day, he eats and then goes back(with help).Sometimes he can open his left eye, but double vision sets in and he closes it again.

Can someone offer us some help,........or hope please.

Nothing can be said about the further course of the disease.

There are chances that the patients continue like this, or even worsen to being bed ridden. I am not trying to depress you, but you would have to mentally prepare yourself.

All you can do is support him through all this and be there for him.

How is he doing now? What did his reports say as the site and extent of lesion when he had the stroke?

Are you following up with the neurologist regularly?

Post us if you have any further doubts or queries.

Regards.

Thank You.

My mother has all of that info.I know the clot is still present, but platelet count is around 450 now, where before it was very high.He did so much physical therapy, but since it ended..........he won't do anymore on his own at home.

He eats on his own, needs help to drink something, (cough's)......then goes back to the lazy boy.He is only 71.My mother is handling all of this on her own and I see it is wearing her down as well.They live in Pennsylvania, and I wish there was something more that could be done, or at least she could get some help or relief.I don't want to give up on my father.......I'm so sorry.
Doctors.........is there anyone that can Please help him.........?

I am begging you...........What should I do?.........
My dad stroke sounds very similar to your dad's.  My dad was 80 when he had his stroke in May of 2006.  It is hard to believe that it will be 2 years since he had his stroke.  He is still not able to walk, he can talk well, but sometimes says some crazy things.  His short term memory is terrible though, he doesn't remember much at all.  Like your dad he pretty much just sits in the lazy boy all day.  He also sleeps alot.

We keep fighting for more therapy because if he gets any weeker, my mom is not going to be able to continue taking care of him.  Also, we went through our local agency on aging and were able to get a little bit of help for my mom.  She has someone come in every morning to help her get him up.  They also come all day Tuesday and Wednesday nights so she can get some time away.  It is hard on her, but she does not want him to go back into a nursing home.  My parents also live in PA (near Pittsburgh), and I am in Virgina, so I am not able to be there to help much.  I wish I could do more to help.

Good luck with your dad and keep up posted!!!