Stroke Community
My Grandma had a Hemorrhagic stroke at 93 she is now 95

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

I take care of my Grandmother who is 95 years old. She had her stroke at 93yrs old. After reading your post I can understand your frustrations. The doctors told me to throw in the towel. They said put her on hospice and keep her comfortable. They said the same thing about her brain being totally destroyed. That she would never eat or talk again, I just felt like they were discriminating b/c of her age. My father and I insisted that they put her on peg tube until she was able to regain some swallowing function. We just insisted on as many answers to our questions that we could get. So many folks were ready to bury her. She has expressive aphasia but can understand what you are saying. She would get really upset when the doctors dismissed her. In fact it is still a fight. She is bed bound but she is alive and did recover some speech and is able eat and drink on her own. She has a simple and quite life but she happy and it wasn't her time to go. She has excellent bld pressure and vitals. She has been bed bound for two years not 1 bed sore. She does suffer from spasms and the only thing I have found that works is Lorazapam. The truth is that we nor the doctors have any idea the potential of our brains. It takes time to heal from something like this and a lot of really good care. Don't give up. It is a hard journey but you have to fight for your loved ones in this situation b/c no else will. I can't tell you how many doctors have simply no clue what do for stroke patients. I just took my Grandma to see a neurologist, in hopes they might know of something one of the 100 other doctors didn't to give her relief for her spasms, nothing. They sat there and marveled at how good she looked for 95. I have my Grandma on fish oil and aspirin to help prevent future strokes. I have her on a great diet w/ lots of supplements and it is always a balancing act to keep her healthy and comfortable. There is hope, and where there is life there will always be hope. I wish I could go in to detail about our journey and story. It is so long and detailed I am not sure it would fit in anything but a book. However I have gained A LOT of knowledge in caring for a completely dependent person in my home and A LOT of knowledge on caring for a stroke survivor so please anything I can do to help, I am glad to pass along. As I don't want my Grandma and I's struggle to be in vein if it can make this process easier for some one else I am glad to share what I have learned.....God Bless
this touched my heart...

" It takes time to heal from something like this and a lot of really good care."
this statement is so true when dealing/looking after a stroke patient. time is a great healer!

hope everything turns out well for you and your family, and keep up the good work! x