Stroke Community
My Husband

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

My Husband

My husband of 10yrs had a severe left sided stroke 6 months ago, spent 2 months in hospital and then rehab. Hes very anxious to have a normal sex life again, he can get an erection although its not easy, but he cant get an orgasm,,,is it just too early? or will this too eventually return to normal?
Hello cbell54.
I had my stroke a year ago. Mine was on the left side also. What I have found out is that your left side is mental and your right side is physical. That is why left-sided stroke survivors always look "normal". Without any visual problems to see (like a limp or bad arm for instance), then it looks like everything must be normal. The thing that nobody sees is the trauma of the brain. It is just like a broken arm, but you can't see it and don't feel it. Just like a broken arm, you can't use it at first, but can after a time of healing, but it may work a little different than it did before. Every stroke is different to each person. There is no rule, like "your arm will heal in 6 months." The brain healing process is different for each person.

I have talked to dozens of stroke survivors over the year and have tried to help as many as I can since my stroke. I do it because I know how confused you are after a stroke and how little information is out there to help. I have to admit that this is the first question I have written with a sex problem. When you think about it, sex with your spouse is a very important part of your life. Sooooo, to answer your question, all of these things he is feeling is normal.  I can only talk to my experience, because every one is different. But to me, yes there was a time after my stroke that sex was not something I thought about and orgasm was not going to happen. But after a time, it all came back. It is different than it was before my stroke. Nothing bad, just different. But his orgasm will come back, especially since he is asking about it. You both need to not worry and let time heal from his stroke. His stroke has only been 6 months away, so there is still a lot of time for his brain to heal. Sleep is important and drinking lots of water will make his brain feel quicker.

God Bless,
Tim