Stroke Community
Need Stroke Recovery Testimonials

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Need Stroke Recovery Testimonials

My father's stroke in December left him with not being able to read, speak, sit for long and he cannot walk (supposedly paralyzed right side body but is able to wiggle some hand and foot). He had to have a tracheaostomy. I realize that the prognosis can be anywhere from little recovery to limitless recovery, but what I am hoping for is for some real testimonials about anyone who had recovery with similar problems. For example, has anyone or anyone know someone who has been able to speak and use a wheelchair to get around after loosing those abilities from a stroke? Has anyone had their tracheaostomy removed after stroke? Thank you for any support.
I left one thing off, he cannot swallow food. He hasn't eaten in months. Anyone with someone who regained that abiltiy?
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I can tell you of my experience with my husbands stroke.  He wasn't able to move his left side for a couple of weeks.  He is now fully functionable...and doesn't even need a wheelchair.  

He did have dysphagia (difficulty in swallowing).  It was about 3 weeks before he could eat something.  At first it was pureed food.  After about 2 months he was put on solid foods.  He now swallows just fine.  He has a itty bitty problem with water sometimes but I think it's because he tries to drink it too quickly.

Keep hope alive.   It's still early in your dads recovery so there is a lot to hope for...God bless!
Thanks for your experience. I wish you continued successes in your husbands recovery. God bless.
i moved every join in my index finger and thumb 5000 times a day (left hand) with my right hand. I know, it took me hoursbut i had very little to do anyways. My hand is now functional.  I know-- im driven to point of being nuts - but hey my md told me a baby moves his fingers probly 100,000 times to wire the brain to the finger/thumb
Hi there I absolutly recommend anyone that has suffered a stroke or has a loved one that has suffered a stroke read this book:
http://www.normandoidge.com/ the brain that changes itself.
It is full of examples on brain plasticity. There are several references of stroke recovery ad one full chapter on stroke recovery.

I have a 4 year daughter that has suffered a stroke and has left hemiparesis and epilepsy. She also has mild dysphagia.
I have a exp working with stroke and TBI pts and have had training in a number of therapies.
IMO, the absoulte best and most effective treatment out there for stroke pts is constraint induced movement therapy. I have been doing this with my daughter and she is making tremendous strides.
CI is also used for aphasia and would think it may be possible to apply it to dysphagia.
You just need to find a creative therapist I htink.
Here is a link to Dr Taubs CI clinic in Alabama:
http://www.taubtherapy.com/default.aspx?pid=61452

Could you--or anyone--recommend feasible exercises or therapy i could do with my 93-year-old mother, who has what appears to be involuntary arm movements, especially of her affected right arm and hand?  The right foot is also affected.  She cannot remember or respond to instructions except very rarely, so sitting in a wheelchair for a few hours is her main therapy right now. She is still in the stage of delirium and sleeping most of the time, and being very hard to awaken.
Thanks to all.
I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THIS, ZIJA...CAN YOU TALK WITH ME MORE ABOUT IT.
MY HUSBAND HAD A STROKE...
JOYCEGOAD
HI Joyce. I would TODAY go out and buy the book "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge.
Each chapter has different examples of neuroplasticity and a couple chapters talk about stroke patients recovering from strokes ... the therapy is not your typical rehab though.
One chpater is completely on constraint therapy and recovery.
Here is a link to the contents of the book:
http://www.normandoidge.com/excerpt.pdf
In the book it talks about an eye surgeon that had a stroke and recovered w/ constraint therapy.
Here is a link to the CI program for adults:
http://www.uabhealth.org/13248/

Here is a podcast interview w/ Dr Taub Maybe you & your husband/family can listen together:
http://brainsciencpodcast.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/brain-science-28-edward-taubs-revolutionary-approach-to-stroke-rehabilitation/
THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.
I HAVE JUST ORDERED THIS BOOK. THANKS.

I AM CHECKING INTO THIS THERAPY BY DR. TAUB.

GOOD LUCK...STAY IN TOUCH.
JOYCE