Stroke Community
Need some help with my Dad.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Need some help with my Dad.

My 65 years young father suffered a hemorrhage on left basal ganglia which has affected his speech and right side of his body.  He lives alone but somehow he was able to call my uncle and get help quickly. He never went into a coma, was not on breathing tube or feeding tube and gradually is regaining his speech.  It happened 10 days ago and after only 7 days he was transferred to acute rehab.  He eats well, he has no headache, normal bowl movements and so far no pain.  I can understand him much better now and I feel as it is improving every day.  He still remembers all the phone numbers and uses his laptop all the time.  The only problem is the right side is not showing much improvements and I am wondering if it ever will?! He is losing hopes already even though I try everyday to remind him how lucky he was to get help quick, he was very active and worked prior to this and he is now completely shocked and doesn’t think he will ever walk again. The problem is I don’t know that either but I have heard that they don’t accept penitents in acute rehab unless they meet all the criteria and most importantly unless they have a good chance of recovery.  I know my dad and if he doesn’t walk again he will not survive.  I am single and have a fulltime job, I also live in a different state which means I have to move him there at least for now.  I hope I am making any sense though I guess I just want to know if he has any chance to regain his right side.  Also the 3rd CT-SCAN showed that there is no new hemorrhage and no extra axial fluid collections. Please give me some hope.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand what you are going through. That is a difficult question to answer. The human brain has great redundancy. In some cases memory is damaged. In other strokes only partial paralysis may be involved, which may disappear. As to whether or not the patient can be "just like they were", the answer is "probably not", however with a caveat. Some stroke patients do appear to have 100 percent recovery. And many regain a great deal of their abilities. If the "stroke" is stabilized, and there is no further bleeding or clotting I would remain optimistic.

So, encourage him to continue with his physical therapy. And as you rightly pointed out his speech has improved, so he is on the road to recovery. Good Luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.