Stroke Community
New Member

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

New Member

I had brain stem stroke on 2 days before thanksgiving.  I guess I am really lucky from all that I have been reading on the internet.

I have a hard time typing now since the stroke and my speech is slurred. I sound drunk but without drinking anything.

My speech therapist and neurologist are really hopeful that I will be 100% in a couple of weeks from the looks of things.  Are there any supplements that seem to help the stroke survivor?  I am taking a lot of CoQ10 since my stroke and have improved so much since being discharged from the hospital a week ago.

So my question is there any supplements that improves things?

ed

Sorry to hear about your stroke.  Congratulations on your recovery so far :), you sound like you are doing really well.

I don't know about supplements but keep working on you remain deficits, eg practice talking, trying to speak as clearly as you can, etc.  Also get plenty of rest, your barin needs time to heal. You may feel a little "foggy", that too should pass with time.

Every stroke is different & therefore so is the recovery.The one thing i have found that all my fellow strokees have in common with me is the fatigue - so don't fight it, listen to your body & brain.

All the best & keep at it,

Kind regards

sue_in_oz
My 30 year old sister had a massive stroke on Feb 9, 2009. She had surgery on her cerebellum and was in ICU for 35 days. She developed an infection on her surgery (Mersa), and also got meningitis. She went to rehab for a week before she ended up back in the hospital having to have a shunt put in. She went back to rehab for a month, but we decided to take her home after seeing she was only getting 3 hours of therapy a day and nothing the rest of the time. We changed her to Outpatient and currently take her in 3 days a week. The list of things that she needs therapy with is long. She has lost her ability to walk, she has no balance. She lost her speech although it has come back slurred. She was on a feeding tube for 2 1/2 months and just recently started eating again, although very sloppy. She cannot fully swallow yet, still somewhat chokes on water. Her mind is sharp, her memory intact but her emotions are tricky. She has 3 kids who were her life before all this, but she now seems very unemotional towards them. There are many questions we have, will she ever walk again? will she ever regain her emotions? could we do something to help her that we are not currently doing? Hear stroke was determined to be caused by an abnormal vein formation which ruptured when she was lifting weights. Have any stroke survivors rehabilitated from such severe strokes, and if so how long can we expect it to take. We see some improvements in her rehabilitation although very slow which can be very frustrating. Any input would be greatly appreciated.  

Sorry to hear about your sister's stroke :(  Thank you for seeking information to help her.

Stroke is such a horrible thing & it can happen to anyone.

It's good to hear that she is improving her swallow.  Does she see a speech therapist for this?  Of the deficits you mentioned I think this has the priority, so that she can prevent choking & prevent aspirations into her lungs.

Recovery from severe strokes is possible.  It may not be complete (maybe it will) but life can still be happy & productive.  The strokee really has to be the driver in their recovery to get the most benefit - no amount of pushing by others will get them to do the work required if they don't really want to.

Having said that, it is still very early days for your sister.  Her brain has just had a massive injury and is still in the recovery phase.  Overwhelming fatigue will probably a huge issue (three hours therapy a day may have even been too much for her in hospital), also probably some sort of brain "fog" where you know you are not aware of things around you like before.  These get better with time.  

Along with the physical recovery, please consider psychological support.  It is a huge change in her life to deal with & most of us can't do it properly without some help.  Depression is all too common amongst strokees.

Please keep loving & supporting your sister - she really needs you.  There is a long, hard road ahead.

HTH

Sue
Every stroke is different. I have dealt with alot of stroke patients but only recently at my own back door with my mother. She had right side paralysis and her speech like your sisters was very slurred. We too have been on an emotional roller coaster. We did get mom on a anti depressant and it has helped. My mom and dad moved in with me and my husband and my daughter and grandkids live next door and my brother close by and this has helped mom tremendously. We are all there for her to encourage her and help her through the bad days and there are many down days too. But they did not give us hope and my mom is truly a miracle. The therapies we went through were horrible she may have gotten an hour a day at the hospital rehab and then we had outpatient which wasn't much better. We would have 1 good therapist out of the three therapies that she had but what we we did was went to the therapies with her and luckily I have a job where I work with therapist and we have done it on our own. My dad works with her all day long stretching her legs working her arms doing speech exercises and my mom now walks with a walker and the help of 1 person holding a gait belt. Her speech has gotten much better although some days still not so good but we can understand most of what she says. It is a long long road and it is going to take exhausting time on a daily basis but you get results in the end I have seen them. My mom could not move at first and certainly could not walk or talk. It has been 6 months and we are halfway there . Our journey will not end until she is capable of doing for herself and they go back to their home however long that takes. You can't rush it. Just love, support, cry with her and be there for her good and bad and keep praying. Good luck. Never give up>
I just had a stroke last week.  I am pretty healthy.  It runs deep in my dad's side of the family at young ages.. I am 48.  The stroke was called a "minor" stroke in the cerebellum.  I do not have blockages in my arteries at all.  I am a bit confused as to how I can have a stroke with no blockages.. They mentioned something about small vessel but I do not understand... I just know that I had a stroke and I am overwhelmed.
Hi there

Sorry to hear about your stroke :(

Yes, that can be a bit confusing, having an ischemic stroke with no blocked blood vessels.  Most information provided for the general public leads you to believe that this is not possible.  But you & I know that it is indeed possible.

One possibilty is a small clot that came into your brain & then later broke up by itself.

Another one, is vessel spasm, causing the artery to "simply" squeeze shut & block the blood flow.  This is what happened to me due to my extremely high blood pressure (240/130 on admission).  I know other strokees whose blood pressure wasn'y as high as mine who had bleeds but my vessels just decided to clamp shut.

There are probably others but I just don't what they are.

HTH

Sue
Hello All.

My dad had a brain stem stroke on September 15th. He is still in intensive care. They keep him in intensive care because he is not responsive enough and they fear that he will not be able to keep his airways open (he has a tube kepping it open know. He can not open his eyes yet (although he did once while the nurses moved him). I don't know much about the recovery for this type of stroke. He has been responsive one day with following commands, but the last two days he has not been as responsive to the nurses. The nurses said the doctor will have to put in a trake if he does not become more concious within the next week...

How long before we should see more reactions from my dad?

Thank you for any information you can give. It is greatly appreciated!
hi, i have been having TIA's and will b going to hospital to find out the amount of dammage it done. my Doctor said that it happened in my brain stem. any way i also have a whole host of other health issues. for one i have dystonia, a rare muscle disorder, diabetes, high b/p, and i also have ic/pbs . i am only 47 years old but have been sick really bad since 2000. i am not afraid of dieing but i also want to live because of my family. i have a husband that has been there through it all and 4 children that have children of thier own. all together i have 7 g/b's . they r all precious to me and i hate i am puitting the family through sooo much. but this new doctor seems to give me hope n getting the correct treatments and test that i need. i have been through a few doctors trying to find out what was wrong with me and n 2005 i found out i had dystonia. for the last 5 yrs there has been doctors saying that i am having tia's but they were not showing up on cat scan. the new doctor said there r test that can b done n the brain stem that should show the damage from the minni strokes. i just know that if it isn't found soon i will die. which , i have a fealing i am dieing any way but can't tell my family about these feelings. it is very hard knowing that if help doest come soon , life on earth is over and i can't tell my family that. they don't want to hear that. but who am i to talk too. i am not afraid to die, but i know my family isn't wanting me to go. my life is not nothing like a normal 47 yr old woman should be. i am depressed about not being able to talk with my family about this but i try very hard to appear as happy as possible for them. i love all of them but i know there is a better place than this. no i will not take my own life that is Jesus' place. i just need a lot of prayer. out of all of my family there r only two that see that i getr to the doctor appts. my husband and daughter with her two boys. i hate that all of this is put on them and the boys just over look what they could do to help us. they work 1 week and r off 1 week. why can't they help and take some of the slack off of thiert daddy and sister. i know it is hard for them to do it but hey it's hard on the other two. i thought that i raised them all up to help the family when needed. they just can't understand what the two that help goes through. i love them but when one is ill r need help as a family n whole we r to pick up our slack. if it were one of them i would do all that i could to help them. my oldest child took on the reasponsibility when he was 5 yrs old. he cared for me and his baby brother and sister because i was unable. maybe he feels cheated by haveing to do that. but hey i took care of my momma and g/p when i was really young. at this time i have nurses comeing out to the house about two to three times weekly. i am also suppose to be getting pt and speach therapy at lerast 1 to 2 times a week. i have not heard anything else about that since leaveing the family doctor. at her office there have been changes with the nurses. if i call to remind them i recieve no phone call. i am just sooo frustrated. before this last down time, i recieved my dl back and looking forward to start living my live the best that i can. hump, what a joke, i can not drive cuz of the dangers of killing others and my self. my sister died due to an older man that was haveing heart trouble. i do not want that to happen to me. when she died , my niece also died. i could not live with myself n knowing that i killed r hurt someone just cuz i wanted to drive and not give it up. sometimes my speach is very slurred r i can't talk at all. i get confused very easily. i have put dirty plates n the freezer and left burners on , on the stove. i forget what i may be talking about, the short term memmory is gone. i stay frustrated and am scared that i may push ppl away due to that. the doctor said my emotions is all over the place and it isn't nothing that i am doing to cause this. some times i do think of shooting my self but know that is not the right thing to do. i don't know i am sooo tired. i used to b so free loving , happy go lucky.i tried ti do all that i could when the kids was growing up to have fun with me. i guess i didn't teach them that sometimes fun isn't all there is to life. but how do u change the way u have taught them? when they were growing up i would tell them to go and hgave a good time and i would b fine. but i also taught them to take vitals and dial 911 if they had too. please give me advice. i just want all of my family to b n involed so it won't be left on two of ems backs. i am just tired. really tired. sometimes for the sake of my family i think it would b better for me to b gone!!!
Hi everyone, I’m new to this forum but I have been reading the posts and thought I would join.
I suffered a second stroke nearly 2 weeks ago [on Dec.13th] this year. Another shock as I have been on the anti-platelet med. Clopidogrel 75mg since the first stroke on Feb 1st this year! So thought I would be ok. Nothing’s a 100% though is it .Is anyone here on this drug and is anyone now on Statins as well? I refused to take the statins after my first stroke because of the many and varied side effects they can cause, but I have been worried enough this time to take them. I am taking 20mg which is  ½ of the normal starting dose of 40mg and I’m taking plant sterols as well in the form of spreads. Yogourts and yogourt drinks to help reduce my cholesterol levels. My overall cholesterol reading when I was in hospital was 5, which I thought was a fairly good reading, but not according to my consultants in the hospital. I still worry about taking statins because I have researched them online and every site says that they deplete the  Coenzyme q10 in our bodies and this can lead to other problems as this enzyme is supposed to be very important to our body as well as being a very potent antioxidant. But when I tried to talk to my consultant about this he was impatient and said that ‘’All patients don’t get these side effects’’. That’s not very comforting for the ones that Do though is it? I would prefer to use natural means such as the plant sterols instead . but he dismissed natural methods as not being effective enough . S I felt I had to settle for the ½ dose of statins and use the plant sterols as well. Anyway I hope you are all making some progress with your recovery. I was, until this recent setback! Need to go back to some therapy again now to get my strength and confidence back. I thought I would tell you all about a new book I have just purchased called’ the Brain That Changes Itself’ by Norman Doidge.It explains Neuroplasticity . [The brain being able to heal damage, grow new pathways and neurons and new connections etc. THERE are personal  stories that are really astonishing and trials and information that is very encouraging to people that have suffered any kind of brain injury/trauma  including strokes There is also a very good Brain training website I have found that helps with cognitive therapy. THE website is called Lumosity. The games have been devised by doctors and they are very good and interesting .You get your scores at the end of each game and daily session and you have to reach certain levels to graduate to a higher level. You can try this FREE for a few days and then subscribe if you want to. I have subscribed for 12 months but you can do it monthly yearly or for 2 yrs. I Hope this information is of some help to you. I also get very tired like some of you do, and have had  strange symptoms and sensations that have been put down to anxiety. But what do the doctors know anyway? Looks like we just have to shut up and put up!  These Forums are good though aren’t they? The feedback must help a lot of stroke victims and carers.
Love and best wishes for a ‘Happy New Year’ to you all

My dad just had a hemorrhagic stroke a few days ago. He is 85 years old and has been very responsive, since his stroke. It's in the mid-brain/brainstem area. The hospital has been giving him CT Scans and told us that the spot has increased a little bit. They will not offer surgery for this kind of stroke, because it could further the bleeding. For the last 2 days, he has been running a fever and now has a urinary tract infection. The doctors are not telling me much, when I ask. Because he is responding well to physical therapy; they have decided not to give him another CT Scan, unless his condition worsens. He is affected on his right side, but is able to move it a little bit. He is not able to swallow yet and is on a feeding tube. Is his positive responses to physical therapy good or are they covering up the harsh truth? I am devastated.
can you please tell me any physician or any best hospital where you had your dad treated..? my dad just had a stroke two days ago please help
I had a Pon brain stem stroke on Dec 3rd. They put me in hospital tor 4 1/2 days then moved me to hospital rehabfor 8 days. They setehoe and I will begin to have home therapy starting after the first of the year. I guess I was extremely lucky as I do not feel sick.  I have lost my balance as I fall down often and I cannot write yet. Also my swallowing has been affected. With all these things going on I feel very fortunate as I believe it could have been much worse. I have several questionsi would like to ask.  First off will I get my full strength back?  What are the chances of me having another stroke?  I want to be completely honest with you. I was a 2 pack a day smoker. Needless to say I've quit cold turkey. I do not drink any alcohol and never have. My cholesterol is high but controlled with Creator and Niacin.  I do not have high blood pressure. I am bi-polar and taking Depakote since 1994.  These are my main concerns. Would you please answer nh questions for me. I really would appreciate it. Thank you,  ***@****
how is he now?