Stroke Community
Not Waking Up After A Stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Not Waking Up After A Stroke

My mom who is 62 was sedated to insert an intubator after having beathing problems. An MRI was performed and she had several lesion including one with the size of a tea leaf. The doctors havent concluden on her diagnosis, but are leaning towards a stroke. She was sedated with propofol, and was also given pentadine along with a few other pain medications. All the sedation, and medication were removed and 3 days later she still hasnt waken up. The doctors have been doing some stress tests which she barley responds to, but her cognitive state is severly weak. She seem to be breathing on her own with the aid of a ventilator, and we have seen reflexes on all her extrimities, but nothing else beyond that. We have talked to her and called her name several times, but will not respond to such attempts.

We are in desperate need of answers, and hope that someone out there have had a loved one with a similar experinece to share some helpful information. We plead with you out there if you have any information, please reply and offer your expertise or experience.

It sounds like she has been endotracheally intubated by an anaesthesiologist.

You need to request the written report of the anaesthesiologist.  Be polite but insistant. Plus ALL medical records. There are a lot of "missing pieces". I don't like their answers. There is a potential tort action here and in such instances expect them to go into "Defense of Stalingrad Mode".

That being said, it takes at least ninety days before conditions settle down.

Generally such a situation results from a lack of oxgyen, and the main reason for that is that the anaesthesiologist inserts the endotracheal tube and does not visualize the valecula resulting in the tube ending up in the esophagus, instead of the trachea, and does not ausculate all four lung fields, anterior and posterior. This results in oxygen being cut off to the brain. In fairness, I am certified in endotracheal intuibation and have accidentally done exactly that. Fortunately I caught the problem in time.

This is what to look for in the hospital records.

Visit her as often as possible, hold her hand, and get a radio or music device with head[hones and ensure she listens to music several hours a day.