Stroke Community
Not convinced it was a TIA...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Not convinced it was a TIA...

I'm after some opinion really...

For a few weeks, I had been feeling very mildly 'spaced out'. I woke up last Thursday with a numb hand, and thought nothing of it, about 15 mins later had a wave of 'oddness' and felt pretty dizzy, so my wife took me into A & E. The dizzyness did not last long, but the numb hand continued. Drs did lots of tests- CT, MRI, Angio- all clear as far as I know. However, some of the other basic tests were suspect like I had upwards/ inwards pronatal drift, planters reflex equivocal or maybe just upwards, and nystagmus. Dr said it was a TIA. I'm only 40, but have had a history of AFib, although it is controlled and I was not in AFib (Certainly not when I went to bed, and certainly not on waking). I'm back to feeling mildly 'spaced out again', but numb hand cleared up after about 24 hrs.

I'm not convinced this was a TIA- I don't know what it was, but has anyone ideas or experienced similar? I think the doctor (who was a stroke physician) has put everything together and come up with this due to the history of AFib.

Very worried about it as I have a whole life ahead of me- and this has stopped me in my tracks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

TIA or transient ischemic attack, which as the name indicates there is a temporary lack of blood flow to a particular part of the brain. This usually recovers, but these people are more prone for strokes. Considering the ‘suspects’ in physical examination and your history of AFib, it could be TIA.

Whether TIA or not, no harm in taking adequate precautions. The basis of therapy for TIAs is blood thinners to prevent clotting, controlling high risk factors like diabetes and hypertension and avoiding smoking. So, focus on controlling AFib and the high risk factors. Take Care.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.