Not waking up after a stroke
My grandmother is 80 yrs old and had a stroke 1 week before thanks giving of 07.  It was aischemic stroke on the left side of her brain.  The doctors at Del Ray Medical in Florida started asprin treatment.  She was eating and able to squeeze our hands withn her left hand and was fully awake and seemed to know what was going on.  The day before ThanksGiving the doctors took her of asprin treatment due to a bleed and put an umbrella in her leg for clots.  She never woke up from this.  All of her vitals are good, but they say she had a heart attack.  She has been in ICU since.  She will open her eyes for about 10 to 15 minutes a day.  They nurses say it is just a reflex.  My question is has anyone had this happen to someone they know and if so, what was the outcome?.  Or was there any treatment that helped them to wake up?   The doctors do not talk to us and they do not return phone calls.   Feeling helpless i have turned to the internet to help us.
Don't listen to them about this being a "reflex". The outcome may not be a happy one, but believe me she can understand words spoken to her, even though she may not seem to be able to respond in any way. Every day and every visit, speak to her and tell her you love her and hold her hand or wrist continually during every visit. Get a pair of earphones and ensure she can listen to music. I can't promise you she will recover. But I can promise you that the arrogance of those in the medical profession continues to upset me. My mother died of a stroke, and during her last week I was assured by her physicians and her nurses and her neurologist that she was "brain dead", and this was "proved by brain waves". And every day before she died she could only move a single finger and tap once or twice against my hand to respond to my questions. And she did. Meanwhile, she was treated like a vegetable by the staff. As far as the doctors not talking to you, they tend to only want to speak to a single family member. Be persistant. And good luck. I will say a prayer for her.
My mother had a heart attack then suffered two strokes the very next day after the heart attack, she has not woke up in 21 days, she is 82 yrs old but was full of life and very active. I don't know what to think, I love my mother very much!. Sometimes I hope God would take her so her pain would be gone and she wouldn't have to deal with the many issue that come with these strokes. Than, I also think that maybe she will wake up and live a normal life like before and everything will heal on its own.
My Wife suffered two strokes. She can breathe without the ventilator, but She won't wake up. She's been in a coma for 18 days. Can someone tell me her prognosis because Her Doctor's won't give me a straight answer.