Obsessive Compulsive Behavior
My father suffered a severe right side ischemic stroke 10 years ago (100% caratid blockage).  He has severe left side deficit.  Recently, he has been exhibiting obsessive/compulsive and socially inappropriate behavior.  When he first had the stroke, he was treated with Ritilin which seemed to keep him level.  A few years ago, his family doctor took him off Ritilin and prescribed Zoloft.  He has now been put on a nother anti-depressant medication--the name of which escapes me.  Since he has been off Ritlin, his behavior seems to have worsended. What meds are typically prescribed to stroke patients for symptoms that my father is exhibiting?  Is psycho-therapy/counseling efficacious in these situations?
My 83 year old Mother has suffered a series of severe strokes and is now paralysed on ther left side. She is in skilled nursing care and has OT, ST and PT five days a week.  Her progess is very very slow, but she now is obsessed with wiping her nose and wiping her month with tissues. She speaks very little. Is there anything we can do to help her?

Thank you,

Cynthia Johnson  
Cynthia, my dad (70) is in the same position. He pulls and the bedclothes and and is always moving/pulling dragging things around him. They have him on Haloperidol which in fairness has reduced his restlessness and relaxed him. He's sleeping at night and awake during the day. Its very slow progress but there are some positive signs.

Keep the faith