Stroke Community
PREGNANCY AFTER STROKE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

PREGNANCY AFTER STROKE

I AM A 29 YEAR OLD STROKE SURVIVOR I HAVE LEFT SIDED WEAKNESS NO USE OF MY LEFT ARM AT ALL.I HAVE NO CHILDREN AND I'M WONDERING WHEN AND IF IT WILL EVER BE OK TO THINK ABOUT HAVING THEM AND WHAT STEPS WILL I NEED TO TAKE
I survived a stroke 2 and a half years ago at age 32, no cause discovered. I had 2 healthy pregnancies prior and have 2 precious daughters.  I would also like to become pregnant, as my only "career goal" in my life was to mother and raise 3 or 4 children.  I very much enjoyed being pregnant and don't really want to consider adoption.  I can't seem to get any of my doctors to say if I it would be okay or not...they only say I would be at more risk, simply because I have already had a stroke.  I would love to hear from some others that have gone through pregnancy after stroke.
Hi there!  I too am a young stroke survivor with left side weakness.  The arm and hand are very frustrating, aren't they?  Thankfully,I had my 2 daughters before my stroke, but my youngest was only 13 months when it happened.  It took awhile for her to get used to me, but with some practice I eventually was able to change diapers, bathe the girls, and now 2 1/2 years later with some more progress under my belt, I can carry my 3 year-old to bed or short distances if I need to.  The most frustrating thing to me is that I can't fix their hair.  I would like to have 1 more baby - I'm sure it would be more difficult than the first 2, but I think I could figure it out.  I think you would be able to find ways to care & adapt for your child.  And your baby would know that you are it's mommy.  Now, whether it's safe to become pregnant...I am having a hard time getting answers myself.
I had trauma induced stroke 2 years ago.  My baby was 3 months old when it happened.  I am very blessed in that my weakness is very minimal and doesn't effect my daily functions unless I don't get enough rest.  I talked with my neurologist and my ob/gyn who both agreed I could become pregnant again.  Their only stipulation was that I had to have a C-section.  They did not want any strain on my neck.  My stroke was due to a trip to the chiropractor who dissected both of my vertebral arteries resulting in a brain stem stroke.  I am now 9 weeks pregnant again and very nervous about it.  I drink lots of water to keep my veins and arteries plump.  Both doctors assured me that I should do just fine.  I'll feel better when it's all over.  It was such a traumatic thing for me until I now suffer from anxiety attacks.  So of course I worry about everything.  Hope this helps.
As you've probably read on this site, Pregnancy IS a risk factor for Stroke!  Thus, as survivors we must consider ourselves high risk pregnancies, and our best bet for honest answers to these questions would be to seek them from a specialist, ie, High Risk Obstetrician.  I have also found that my PCP and regular OB/Gyn dodge this subject with vague answers that don't say yes or no with any particular explanation.  I've since scheduled a visit with a High Risk Ob to address these issues for myself.  However, sharing my doctors answers to me will not be the answer for you.  Each case is individualized.  We all had strokes or TIA's for different reasons, our ages differ, our medical histories differ, and so forth.  The old adage stands, you must compare apples with apples.  And when it comes to stroke, heart disease, etc... there is NO such thing.

Best of luck to you all!  Wish me luck, for at 40 I have been blessed with a (younger, woohoo!) man who loves me with my diminished abilities (I am NOT disabled, just dysfunctional, GRIN) and wants to marry me and have children together, if possible, our own.  A far cry from the man I initially married as a medical student and who then left me when I had my strokes at 30.  God works in such mysterious ways!

Sincerely,
FLCricket in Tampa Bay
I wanted to say that I am also a stroke survivor. I was 27 years old and after two opinions, it was felt that I was the unlucky one percent to suffer a side effect of birth control pills. (I doubled up on the day I had the stroke & was getting headaches for about a year). I was able to use my left leg again but it took about 6 months to walk a block without getting exhusted. Today it feels fine but does get tired easliy when walking longer distances. The right side of my body has numbness(shoulder to tip of foot). Right now it kinda feels like a sunburn feeling. My Gyn sent me to a specialist when I informed her I wanted to have children.  The specialist had so much lab work done on me. After all that, she told me that of course I am an increased risk (about 18%). I was put on folic acid about one yr before my pregnancy. I am currently 3 months pregnant & I haven't felt better (minus the morning sickness!).
I do have to give myself a needle every day in my tummy (blood thinner),take a baby asprin every day, have ultrasounds almost every two weeks & more check ups than someone else, but it is worth it. I hope this provides some info.
hello, I'm am 28 years old and I had a fetal death at 10 weeks in August of 2006 and in December 2006, I was rushed to the emergency because I had a ''mini stoke '' or as doctors call it a (TIA). They did all kinds of labs and genectic testing and there was no known cause for the TIA or stoke. they did put me on Plavix a blood thinner that I have to take once a day I'm guessing for life and also taking Folic Acid. Here I am 6 months later and want to get pregnant again. I've been to my OBGYN and Neurologist and don't give me a straight answer on whether it would be save or not. All they tell me is I will be a high risk pregnancy. I read so many articles on the web.and I sometimes get scrared at what they say. All I really want is to have a baby and be a mother. Ha any one been in my situation before and if so what has been the outcome, please help!
I had a stroke at 24 years old, no cause known, had some double vision which corrected itself after a couple months.  They did find a clot in a leg vein, and a hole in my heart( a very small hole, which was closed via open heart surgery, and figured the clot broke loose and traveled through the hole to reach my brain) but they don't know why I had the leg clot.  I am now 32, and would like to get preggers, but am *scared* because the whole stroke thing was terribly scary and i go out of my way to avoid anything that might up my chances of it happening again.  I got the green light to get pregnant from my cariologist, and from my neurologist, now I am going to meet with a high risk OB/GYN to see what they say about it all.  What they tell me is that 'it's okay, because that hole in your heart is closed, so if you do throw another clot, it won't go to your brain' but...what I think is, 'yeah, it will go to my lungs, which can KILL you - why is that any better?!?!'  Perhaps there is something I don't get.  They also say, because it's been 8 years, and I haven't suffered any other strokes, I should be okay.  I'm still nervous, though.   I guess I want someone to promise I won't have another stroke, but I guess that's just not going to happen, LOL.

I guess that's my long answer for you - no one knows if/when any of us will suffer another stroke or not, especially if the cause of the initial stroke was unknown.
Sorry to hear there are others like you who have experienced this at such a young age.  I, too, suffered panic attacks for a few years as a result, I understand what that's like.

I should add that I was not Rxed any blood thinners after my stroke because the cause was unknown and they told me that, because I was so young, the risk of hemmorage from taking thinners long-term was higher than having another stroke.  so I haven't been on any medication since.  I wonder if they'd want to put me on a thinner during pregnancy, too.  I also wonder what they do when you are full term - you wouldn't want to be on thinners when you deliver, I'm guessing...

???
I had a major stroke at age 8 (almost 9), yea I know, unheard of.  The doctors were quite baffled, don't know why it happened.  It was my right cerebral artery causing left side paralysis.  I'm now 20 years old and have had no problems since, but have only a slight limp and weakness of that side.  I'm getting married in March, and want to start a family in the next couple of years.  I haven't gone to my gyn or talked to anyone about my concerns yet.  I just wanted to hear from you guys what I can expect.  I'm kind of scared about what I'm going to be told from doctors, as one of my biggest goals is to be a fantastic wife and mommy.  
Finding this forum made me so happy. I have suffered from 3 strokes at ages 22, 24 and 26.  My last stroke I had while I was on Coumadin so I am now on Fragmin. I had residual side effects from all my strokes and feel different ones when I get tired but overall I'm functioning like normal. I take Fragmin now everyday and just recently started thinking about pregnancy.  I'm going to a high risk clinic to get more informaiton but am so happy to hear of other people who have experienced what I have.  I have yet to be able to find a support group even for young women stroke survivors.
I can be reached at ***@**** if anyone would ever like to talk- I know I need it from time to time-those days where you just wish things were normal for you .
Good luck and blessings with everyone.
I, also, had a stroke when I was young...7 years old. My doctors, too, were baffled. They didn't know what to do or what to think. So, my life at times, I feel like a guinea pig- trying, accomodating, and adapting over and over.
I recently got married and I am pregnant. I saw the doctor for the first time and told her my story. She was amazed at the story but was not alarmed. She said because I had my stroke over 20 years ago, not to worry about the pregnancy or the delivery. We will keep an eye on it but I'm not high risk by any means.
We'll see how it goes as the pregnancy progresses.
I was 29 when I had my stroke during brain surgery.  My left hand/arm is still not functional and i have bad balance. I am nervous about getting pregnant and not being able to physically take care of the baby.  Is there any books out there that have some tips/suggestions on how to hold a baby, burp a baby, change diapers with one hand?  thanks for your help! take care.
How was your delivery?  did everything go ok?  Did you have to use a blood thinner during pregnancy?  My neurologist and ob/gyn said that they would use forceps over c-section.  I had a stroke 2 weeks post-partum...both of my carotid arteries were dissected and now are both occluded.  I really want to have another baby.  
Hello! After you had your 1st stroke, were you put on any kind of preventative medication to prevent it from happening again? Did the medicine not work? Or were you not on any? I am soooooooo scared of having another one. I had one less than 2 months ago. I didn't have any residual problems from it whatsoever, but I'm just scared of it happening again and being worse. I already have one daughter that was pre-sroke, but would definitely love to have more since I'm only 25. But I'm so scared of having another stroke that I may have my husband get a vasectomy. I don't know what to do. I'm just terrified of it happening again and having problems that will make me unable to be the mom I am now for my 2 year old girl. Since it happened less than 2 months ago they're still trying to find the cause. Nothing yet! I'm on plavix and aspirin which I'm not excited about. I just don't want to have another stroke or anything worse. Thanks!
I'm only 35 was 32 when I had a serious brain stem stroke.  I can walk (assisted), talk and pretty much do things myself.  My physiotherapist said I'm lucky to be alive.  I too would like to get pregnant I had one miscarriage and am deathly afraid of getting pregnant.  My family doctor doesn't think I should.  I'm afraid of having another stroke, dying or worse becoming an invalid.  I just don't think it's worth it even though I desperately want to be a mom the idea of not being one breaks my heart.  I wonder if I should just do it.
did you have the baby?  I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go ahead and have a baby even though I'm scared.  I'm not the only young stroke survivor
Did you have the baby?  I'm so scared to get pregnant again
Have any of you research the huge benefits of Hyperbaric Oxygen for post stroke recovery?  This is an amazing therapy that is hidden for
the recovery of motor skills after stroke
I surrvived a stroke almost 6yrs. ago...2 weeks after my son was born, I was 29 at the time.  I am now 35 and about 3mos. pregnant.  It was not an easy decision, but I have been stable all this time and the docs said that I should be fine.  There is one other person who I write to who had 2 more babies after having her stroke.  It definitely helps to have to her to talk to....It's not an easy decision!
What's her e-mail?  Can I contact her?  My e-mail is ***@****.  I'm so nervous about being pregnant
My e-mail doesn't show up just tell her to post and tell her story
I'm going to try to post my e-mail again

nlung8

at symbol

gmail

dot com
I'm going to have kids.  I saw a high risk OB/GYN he says the risk is minimal.  He has 20 years experience with pregnant post stroke women and no one has ever died or even had another stroke.  So since my neurologist says it's okay and the OB/GYN says it's okay I will get pregnant.  All I can do is breathe a sigh of relief.  I really wanted to be a mom and be parents with my husband
Good for you. I am 30 and had a stroke at age 7. I'm 6 1/2 months pregnant and things are going great. My ob/gyn is not worried at all.

After I have my baby, I'll just learn to adapt the daily tasks of parenting...no worries...that's what I've been doing all along.

I found the love of my life 9 months ago this coming month. I was also a young massive stroke survior at age 15 playing softball.  I am now 28 and have no children of my own.  I work at a daycare teaching 12 through 24 month olds. I am doing all the routine care during work such as diapering, washing hands, etc...   We want to have one or two of my own someday but I'm nervous of what the OB/GYN will say. He has one from his former wife.  I will have one of my own but what are the  consequences?  I want my baby to be healthy and thats all I am concerned about.  Can anybody help us?
My OB/GYN says it's okay to have kids.  I'm 35 years old.  Had a stroke when I was 31.  Pretty major one.  A brain stem stroke.  It could have easily killed me but here I am.

My OB/GYN says I can have kids I just have to be monitored .  He says he's been doing this for 20 years and no one has ever died or had another stroke.

I have to take a daily needle of heparin in my belly or my butt to keep my blood thin.
I had a major stroke when I was 29....2 weeks after I gave birth.  After alot of waiting and debating, I am now pregnant at the age of 35.  My docs say I should be fine.

I give myself 2 shots of lovenox 2xday, and hopefully everything should go fine.  Good luck!
I had a stroke 9 months ago at the age of 32 however my stroke was not a clot but a bleed to the brain - hemorrhagic stoke.  I was very lucky to have only had eye sight problems and hope to make a very good recovery in time.  Doctors have no idea why it happened or if it will happen again. I have a 19month old little girl already and understand that if I am at a risk of another stroke I would not have another child or maybe it could happen again and then my kids would not have a mum or worse still I would need to be cared for.  Has anyone had this type of stroke and also had a child?

I admire all of you and your courage to have children with having a stroke as I am sure it is a hard decision to make that could and can change your life for better or worse.

All the best
I am 24 years old and I survived a major ischemic stroke 2 years ago. I just, the other day, took a test (and several since!) and they have all been  positive. I have been VERY healthy and am in a wonderful relationship with my soon to be husband. After telling my mother, she told me I have no option to keep it as my neurologist said (2 years ago) that it would be suicide. It is so wonderful to hear of other people in this situation have gone through a full term pregnancy with no problems.
I hope my outcome can be the same. As I am sure you ALL understand I am TERRIFIED!!! And the lack of support from my family makes it that much harder. I hope here I can find some support for my soon-to-be husband and I. Granted, he is terrified as well. We decided LONG ago that if the risk is to great we will weigh our options, as he has a daughter from a previous relationship who I am helping raise, for one thing.
I have a lot of choices to make. Can anyone help me figure out what makes a good high risk ob/gyn?
If your doctor feels that your risk is that high, by all means listen to him/her! Is it worth having a child if you aren't there to take joy in it? To raise it? Adoption is always an option! You love them JUST as much, I have a 3 year old step-daughter and could not love her ANY more if I had given birth to her.

I want to give birth.  Adoption is not really an option. I want biological children.  The high risk OB/GYN says I don't have a blood clotting disorder he's just treating me like I have one.  When I went to the hospital there were women pregnant worse off than me.  Some in motorized wheelchairs.  I walk with a 4 point cane.  The  OB/GYN  says just call me when you are pregnant.

Please let me clarify

I was never told I was a high risk

He's just a high risk OB/GYN

If I was high risk I wouldn't have kids
I totally understand how you feel about wanting biological children! I feel the same, as much as I love my step-daughter I want one of my own as well. I don't have a clotting disorder either, so I wish the best of luck to us both.

Get a second opinion

Just b/c he/she is a doctor doesn't mean they know everything

My family doctor was scared for me but the OB/GYN said I'd be okay

So it shows opinions differ
just e-mail me
My heparin is called Lovenox too
I am 36y/o, survived a stroke 2yrs ago when my daughter was 18mos old....stroke most likely due to birth control pills...like most of you, some of my docs say no, others say no problem...the high risk OB says to just take Lovenox. So, how expensive is two shots of Lovenox/day for 10months? Also, you can't get an epidural if you're on blood thinners...it could cause a stroke :( !! So hard to decide what to do....has anyone taken Plavix througout a pregnancy?

I'm about 5 months pregnant with a girl

I see a high risk OB/GYN about once a month

Only my family doctor warned me about getting pregnant

My neurologist and my OB/GYN says it's okay to get pregnant

They will take me off blood thinners a week before I'm due.  I guess they don't want my blood to be thin
Right now I take a needle of Lovenox (heparin) in my belly once a day

I drink 3 litres of water a day

My heparin is about $300 CDN a month.  My husband's drug plan covers it.  I have to be on it for 11 months.  So $300 * 11 =$3300 but all pharmacies charge different so it may be more or less than $300/month CDN,
2 shots of Lovenox would be double that amount.  I take 1 shot of Lovenox a day

About my delivery.  My doctors say they will induce labour a week early and give me an epidural.  I'm part of a special pregnancy program so you can have an epidural

My OB/GYN has been doing this for 20 years so I trust him when he says I can have an epidural
I'm going off Lovenox a week before labour too.  So I won't be on blood thinners
Hi All -

Im new to this forum...I'm 29 and just had a stroke on June 17th. My daughter was 8 months old at the time. I do also want 1 more child. I know that now one can 100% tell us that we wont have another stroke with or without being pregnant. Only time will tell....No one knows why my stroke happened. Doc's did find a PFO (hole in the heart) and that was closed. I just wish I hade more answers....
I had a severe stroke in 2000 and got pregnant 3 months after. I had to have heparin injections every day and a c-section one month early. My son just turned 7 in October and all is well with both of us. I was told to have an abortion by my doctor but I refused and changed to a doctor that specializes in high risk pregnancy. she reassured me that we would be fine. Just find yourself a really good doctor. Good luck.
well, I'm 36 weeks pregnant.  I take a needle of Lovenox (heparin) that my husband gives me in the stomach when all is said and done I'll probably be on Lovenox for 7 months.  Lovenox is a blood thinner I don't have a blood clotting disorder the doctors are just treating like I do.  At 39 weeks I will be induced and the baby will be pulled out using a vaccum  The doctors want to go off Lovenox for a week before the induction.  I drink alot of fluids to keep my veins plump.  A combo of milk and water about 3 litres a day.  I can still walk so I do at least 30 minutes of exercise a day to keep the blood moving.  I do some cardio, some weights, prenatal yoga.
     I had a Pontine Stroke, in my brain stem, which basically means a vessel burst and caused an Anurism, in 2004, and I was over 6 months pregnant at the time, and already had a 12 month old daughter. I was 22 at the time. I was on life support for 10 days, and spent 2 months in hospitals. Short of a miracle, I carried my daughter full term, and she was delivered by c-section, and weighed over 8 pounds, and was perfect( she still is:) I recovered after learning how to swallow/eat, walk, use my left hand, etc. again. I  also had eye surgery to somewhat correct my double vision. My daughters are now 5 and 4, and I'm 26 years of age, and I just found out that I'm pregnant. Doctors could never give me an explanation as to why I had the Stroke, and I have been given countless opinions about getting pregnant again. Of course I'm nervous, but I'm going to take it day by day, and hopefully everything will work out.

Has anyone had a Stroke during pregnancy, and then had a healthy pregnancy/baby afterward?
I must add that I'm on an extremely low dose of Lovenox (heparin).  My hematologist said it's like not being on Lovenox (heparin) at all
I'm going off Lovenox 24 hours before my delivery not a week
On January 31st (Saturday) I gave birth to a healthy baby girl.  I was 39.5 weeks pregnant and was to be induced with a gel that afternoon but I guess my baby had other plans.  My water broke at 1am I got to the hospital at 1:30am (yes we live far) and the doctors confirmed I was in active labour and at 1:30pm she was born so I guess it was a 12 hour labour.  The baby weighed 6 lbs and 6oz which is good considering she was pulled out of my vagina with forceps.  I had a small episiotomy where doctors make a cut from your vagina to your rectum to insert the forceps.  My episiotomy required 5 stitches but I would do it all over again.
I am 34 years old and thinking about getting pregnant (I have no children).  I suffered a stroke 4 years ago and a TIA 10 months ago.  After the first stroke, they told me that it was likely a result of birth control.  The TIA occurred while I was off the birth control and while taking aspirin daily.  I am now taking Plavix daily and no one seems to be able to tell me why this keeps happening.  I just stumbled upon this site and cried while reading all of your comments.  I cannot believe that I have been going through all this alone (I have a great husband and family but no one seems to really understand what I am going through) not knowing that there were some many women going through the same experieinces.  I'm 34yr and am thinking about having a child but I am scared out of my mind and my doctor doesn't seem to be that confident in her course of treament.  Her suggestion - two months before trying to get pregnant, go off the plavix and start on the Heparin shots that will continue until 6weeks after giving brith.  What if it takes me a year to get pregnant - that's a year of shots for nothing?  Does giving yourself an injection everyday ever get easy?  I just can't imagine doing this.  Maybe it means I'm not ready.    
Heparin shots don't get easy.  You have to grab skin around your abdomen then puncture yourself.   It isn't cheap either it's about $300 CDN for a month of needles.  I couldn't puncture myself with heparin needles my husband had to do it sometimes I would jump and the injection site hurt for about 5 minutes after.  Let's say my husband and I are both glad I'm off the shots.  It's been 9 weeks since I gave birth
I am 29 years old and had b/g twins on April 26, 08 a month later I had a stroke.  I don't have any residual effects from it and the doctors have not been able to figure out why I had it.  It was not a TIA.  I am 5 months pregnant again.  I had been on Plavix until about 2 months into pregnancy then switched to asprin.  Docs will switch me back to plavix in the third trimester.  I am very afraid but after seeing Neurologists at University of Chicago and also high risk ob gyn I have been told my risk is no greater than the risk of anyone my age having a stroke.  This was not a planned pregnancy, there are few birth control options after a stroke!  This pregnancy has been fine except my blood pressure is slightly elevated.  I am really nervous though, glad to know there are other women to talk to.
I had a stroke 6 months ago and it was scary!  My doctor thinks it was a dissection in my middle cerebral artery.  I still have some residual weakness in my right side and I still have some trouble speaking. I hope that I will continue to recover.  I have two kids and they are beautiful, but I want more!  Everyday I want one but then I don't because it's so scary.  This group is very encouraging.  I would like to hear more from moms who have had babies after stroke.
When I was 20 I had a DVT and was put on Coumadin and told I should never become pregnant. Last october I found out I was pregnant and was immediately put on Lovenox injections 2x a day and aspirin. The month before my due date I was switched to Heparin injections in preparation of the birth. During that week I experienced Heparin induced thrombocytopenia. This caused me to have an induction (which failed I might add) a month early. The day after my son was born I suffered a stroke but my symptoms mimicked those of a leaked epidural more than a stroke so that's what I was treated for. I was released from the hospital 4 days later only to have to be put back in 8 days after that when it was discovered that I had a stroke and that a spinal leak was not causing the headache they had fed me pain pills for for almost 2 weeks. I was told never to get pregnant again that there was no way I could survive it. It hurts because I wanted a large family but I just can't risk it.
I feel last spring and had a CT scan where they found I had an old stroke. I am now 12 weeks pregnant and scared. I had no side effects fromt he first stroke. It is great to hear all the happy endings
Hello, I had a stroke at age 28, I rode a rollercoaster and complained of neck pain immediately after, headaches immediately, and my dr. said they were "tension" headaches and dismissed my rollercoaster theory. I had a stroke, they saw that my artery looked "slightly" torn, and even after seeing that it could be a dissection of the artery they still dismissed my rollercoaster ride and said it could have been the birth control pill, or it was just unexplainable.

A year later, my ob/gyn made me go to a neurologist to get clearance to have babies and to find out whether I as high risk. My blood pressure has always been very good. I got clearance and have since had 3 healthy normal babies with no sort of "high risk" associated with them, other than delivering one after I turned 35.

My story might be different, but in my opinion, I had a torn artery, it was healing, and a clot probably got loose and caused the stroke, and it all healed up nicely after. Thats not to say I didn't have problems to deal with, but only the residual effects of the weakness and dizziness etc.
Hello everyone i also had a stroke 3 months ago after losing my baby girl when i was 5 months pregnat...doctors don't know why i had the stroke but i reallly want to get pregnat again but i have 2 boys already n i'm scared something can happen to me. Doctors tell me its very risky for me so i don't know what to do.....
I had  a stroke in 2008 -after i visited a physio - he manupulated my neck that caused a artery disection.  It was very traumatic and I am suffer from anxiety and depression.  My cerebellum was damaged.  I had problems with balance depth perception, nauseousness and tiredness with loss of concentration

I am however 7 weeks pregnant and I feel awfull, I am very tired and nauseous unlike my first pregnancy.  The doctor informed me that my brain is compensating for the part that is damaged and I will suffer from exhaustion etc if I get sick etc.

Am I feeling so extremely tired and nauseous because of the stroke I had?    
Hi everyone. I had a stroke when I was 3yrs old. There was no cause for my stroke. I was very lucky I regained full use of my body and was only paralyzed for 3 days. I'm now 20yrs old.  I suffer extreme cramps in my left foot and have epilepsy as a result of my stroke. It barely compares to what some of you have been through. Having a stroke as you can all identify with is a very hard thing to deal with.

As I am so young I haven't really thought about kids until I was told about 1 month ago that I might not been able to have kids. Does anyone know more about this or have had any similarities to my situation.
I am new to this forum and SOO happy to have found it!  We are 27 weeks pregnant and so far, so good.  I suffered a stroke in May of 2009- unexplained to this day.  I've have every test imaginable by the neurologist, especially since the first hospital sent me home with a "migraine".  Turned out I had suffered a stroke in my left brain language and multi-tasking areas.  Go figure!

My latest dilemma is that my neurologist has me on 325mg aspirin as I have been since the stroke.  My OB (hi-risk) specialist conferred with my husband and I a week ago to discuss delivery options since the aspirin apparently interferes with any anesthesia being given.  After contemplating, my hubby and I decided on the best option for me which is to discontinue the aspirin 2 wks prior to the anticipated delivery- whether a 38th week planned C-section or a term vaginal delivery.  Note- no cause for my stroke was ever determined.  Birth control pills are what my gut tells me caused it- Microgestin.  No hi blood pressure; No hi cholesterol; Maternal grandmother had stroke(s) in past.

I would welcome ANY discussion about the implications of discontinuing the aspirin until the birth, then resuming thereafter from anyone who has done this.  I'd also love to hear from anyone who switched medications mid-pregnancy as my neuro is suggesting Plavix and the OB mentioned option of Heparin shots (ouch!).

Thanks for listening...
KrysLassy2009
I am sooo glad I stumble upon this forum! I had a clot stroke in my visual cortex a year and a half ago (age 39), most likely caused by birth control pills since I don't have high blood pressure etc. I luckily recovered fully. However, I am 41 with no children and have always thought I would have a child someday. Other family members have had babies at a late age like this. However, since my stroke was probably caused by hormones which sky rocket as soon as you are pregnant, I am now afraid. I was told I would have to be on meds before even trying to get pregnant etc.  I am afraid I could have another stroke before even knowing I am pregnant! And of course, since I was part of the 1% that gets a stroke from BC pills, I fear I would be the 10% the condom breaks and end up pregnant without even knowing it until I had another stroke. I made an appointment to have the Essure procedure but now I am thinking I should get a second opinion. I am happy to hear of others who have been able to have children after a stroke.
I'm really glad that I have found this forum.
Unlike everybody else here, I am the husband and my wife had a TIA (mini stroke) in June 2009.
The reasons behind the stroke to this day have never been answered. The doctors initially tried every test (apart from the TEE - transesophogeal echocardiogram). No answers were found.
The background of events behind the stroke are what we truly believe hold the answer to the event itself.
My wife had been on microgestin birth control tablets for a number of years and had on a number of occasions doubled up! She had been on a diet and lost over 5 stone. She never smoked. She was in a hugely stressfull job and one month before the stroke (almost to the day) she was involved in a car accident which left her with whip lash and the usual bruising etc. She never drank nearly enough water throughout the day and generally a little more than advised amount of alcohol.
Two days before the stroke happened she had been to see a physio relating to the car accident injuries and came away feeling in a great deal of pain and felt that she had done more damage than good.
The stroke actually happened when she went to pick a piece of paper up from the floor and found that she couldnt pick it up, just kept dropping it. She came and told me about the incident and found it hard to speak.
We went to A&E and after about four hours were discharged with the doctors saying it was an allergic reaction to food.
The next morning she told me about extremely severe headaches that she had through the night and her speach had become worse along with the use of her arm.
Immediately we called the ambulance and got taken in where she was eventually later that day diagnosed with a TIA.
My wife had never been in hospital in her life, never needed the doctors for illnesses and therefore was so scared that coupled with a fear of injections was tremendously hard for her.
After about three days she was discharged and given a number of meds to take each day (all of the usual like folic acid, aspirin etc etc). The meds got changed over a number of months as she became suseptable to bruising very easily.
After being discharged there was no further support from the health service offered to deal with what had happened. We felt like we were just booted out of the door and left to deal with it, deal with a completely new way of life.
I cant imagine how this felt to my wife and since then she has suffered severe anxiety and depression.
A couple of months ago we went to see the specialist baby doctors (sorry I dont know what theyre called - with seeing so many doctors you loose track a little).
The first doctor was a very patronising person who basically said that in order for them to suggest any plans and routes through pregnancy that she need to have the TEE to have a further look at the heart. The doctor in no way understood how traumatic even the thought of this was and the likelyhood of it happening was little to none unless (in my wifes words) "unless I was going to die".
We then got told to go away and have a think about it and come back in two months.
Well, we made an appointment to go back a month later and see a different doctor who was told how her colleague had spoken to us. This doc was great and she explained everything to us and why they would reccommend heperin and the fact that she refused a TEE meant that she would need to be treated as if she had a hole in the heart.
We left this meeting after an hour feeling very positive and got told "come back when youre pregnant and we will go through everything from there"
The neurologist saw us for a one year check up and was really pleased to say "thats it, theres no need to see me again, have a happy life" and then we told him about wanting to try for a baby.
A few days later we got a call saying that the neurologists and cardiologists were unhappy with the look of one area of the heart and wanted another meeting. But hold on, these tests were done a year ago and we had been discharged so why now do we have go through more?!
Apparently they decided that as they heard we were trying for a baby that it changed everything and they wanted answers. The doc then strongly advised not to get pregnant and to have further tests, but then there's the other doc saying they didnt need to see us again, then theres the baby specialists saying it would be fine to get pregnant so long as we were under their care and everything was monitored.
Like everybody here seems to mention, every doctor has a different opinion to the next. They seem to like to strike the fear of God into eveyone and you get passed pillar to post with chinese whispers happening to the patient notes along the way!
We understand that everything is slightly more complicated now and what we need to do to ensure a healthy mummy and healthy baby along the way but it seems like my wife has become a guine pig experiment because the doctors dont have a solid answer in their hands to say "look, this is what caused it".
I missed todays appoinment with my wife and she called me afterwards being very distressed and upset by the doctor almost demanding she had to have all of these new tests on her.
As a husband its very hard to understand what it feels like for her as all she wants (all we want should I say) is children. It's also hard to understand what having a medical fear is like and its so hard to try and have an answer for her when I feel she wants one.
Please accept my apologies for typos etc as I'm typing this while at work and trying to condense a great deal into a short (well, sort of) space.
Thanks for reading and if anyone has any suggestions or ideas then we would love to hear them.
I had what is believed to be a lacunar stroke a little over 1 year ago while 7 months pregnant with baby #2.  I had all the tests in the world done:  CT, MRI, MRA, EKC, EEG, blood work, TEE (while completely awake, since I was pregnant, and I chose to have it done awake -- not sure why anyone would not have this test done if offered since it can provide valuable information about a possible hole in the heart causing stroke-like symptoms).    

The only abnormal test results I got was that my Circle of Willis (a blood pathway in the back of the head) was slightly abnormal in that one side bulged and the other constricted.  The neurologist said it was nothing to worry about, just something that was a slight variant of normal.  Also, I was put on low molecular weight heparin (Lovenox) right away to be taken for the rest of my pregnancy.  I religiously took the shots twice a day but still had more stroke-like attacks anyway.  I was very angry at the neurologist who was not willing to do anything more to help me.  Each time I had an attack I was left with more and more neuro deficits on my right side (numbness, stiffness).  I stopped going to the ER because all they did was tell me there was nothing more they could do.  I went and saw a stroke specialist then, at 37 weeks pregnant.  He told me I did NOT have a stroke since I was taking heparin shots at the time and still continued to have more attacks.  So I completely went off blood thinners for the rest of pregnancy and had no problems whatsoever since then.  But I still had no diagnosis or reason for the attacks.

I have recently seen a new neurologist, one year after this whole event took place, who brought "lacunar stroke" to my attention.  I had never heard of it before.  However, it does seem to fit my symptoms.  First in that heparin is not going to help prevent it from happening at all; only aspirin will.  Also, can be caused by slight variations in the Circle of Willis, which was one of my very first test findings.  I am kind of sad that if only I had been switched from heparin to aspirin I might not have lasting neurological deficits.  It worries me out there to read so many women write about taking Lovenox, when it might not be treating their particular type of stroke that they had at all.  

I am just happy to be alive and with 2 little girls, I am not going to risk my health for any more.  I want to be sure I can take care of them and not the other way around.
I had a stroke when I was 26 and now am 28.  We are thinking about having our first child!  My stroke initially began with the worst migraine I had ever had in my life. Like a nail being driven into my head.  I went to take another Excedrine and got to the bathroom sink.  My headache seemed to get extremely worse for a few seconds then I felt my right side getting weaker.  I slowly brought myself to the floor.  I sat for a second and was a little confused.  I tried to tell my husband what was going on but I just couldn't speak and when I did, I could barely get it out.  A few minutes later I was "fine" and my headache was gone.  I went and sat on my office chair and felt really weak and numb on my entire right body side.  Kinda like when your foot goes numb before it feels prickly.  I got up and walked it off (or tried to anyway).  I didn't think anything of it and went to work the next morning feeling the same way.  It was strange driving. I was able to concentrate, speak, etc. but, still felt numb and weak.  I was told by one of the partners that I was walking really slow and my feet were dragging and that my speech was slow.  I had my husband pick me up bring me to the doc's and immediately was sent to the hospital.  Come to find out, I had a large stroke on the left side of my thalamus.  They did a TEE and found a hole in my heart.  They immediately took me off birth control (since that is what they think caused the clotting) and put me on the usual thinners.  Two months later I had the hole closed and I am doing fine.  I still have weakness, occasional numbness, occasional memory loss and am starting to get "spacicity" in my arm and thigh.  I was told that I too will have to see a high-risk OBGYN and most likely have to have a C-section when I do become pregnant.  My appointment is in a few weeks so, we will see how it goes!  I have been instructed by my neurologist and cardiologist to continue to exercise normally until I see the high-risk specialist.
I'm 36, and I had a left temporal lobe stroke last 4th of July. I was on my laptop, and the next thing I knew, I was trying to pick my mouse up off the floor and I couldn't do it. It seemed to me as if kept jumping whenever I went to pick it up. This seemed comical to me then. But then I realized something was wrong, and I called for my 12 yr old son. I was unable to speak clearly, and after a phone call to my parents and my best friend (who's a nurse), he called 911.
The only side effects I have now are a loss of sensation on my right side (sometimes my right hand feels really hot or really cold) and at times I have a hard time multi-tasking. When I tell people this, they laugh and just say they're the same way, it's just our age. Which irritates me, because I know that's not the case.
I just went to my OBGYN, and he told me that I'd be at risk of having another stroke if I were to become pregnant. This breaks my heart, because I only have one child and always wanted to have more. They think my stroke was cause by some clotting disorders (pai-1 and factor 13x). Does anyone else have these disorders? From what I hear, they're not all that common.
i had a stroke 2 years ago 7 days after our son was born... i was 37.... we had an uneventful delivery... i was released from the hospital and then began suffering a head ache so intense that it went down my neck and into my back... we went to the hospital waited for hours for the doc to tell me i had an epideral leak in my spine to come back in the am to get a spine patch... we went home and went to bed... around 3 in the am i got up to go potty and i couldnt clean my episatomy using my left hand... i couldnt pull up my jammie bottoms on the left side and i walked into walls gettin back to bed...none of this i found alarming... my partner asked me some questions which i thought i answered correctly but guess she didnt  and then called the er... they told her to rush me back to the hospital....
i dont remember much of my stay... and my short term memory is still fried... but i do have use of my left side just weakness when tired and i get bad headaches and awful migrains... my neuro tells me to take aleeve and thats it which doesnt touch the migrains... this is my 3rd neurologist..(btw)
all the docs here were left scratching their heads because since the odds of a post partum stroke are 8 out of 100,000 they only read about it in text books... and no hands on... i was told no more babies by both my obgyn and several of my neuros.... no one knows why i stroked or how to prevent them... just that now i am prone to more in the future..(i still have an adnormal vein in my brain like the first one that blew a quarter size hole in my right temple) sooo needless to say i have bad anxiety going to sleep at nite especially when i have a head ache since i storked in my sleep.... i cant have anymore babies (thank goodness my partner is in fab health and wants to carry our next child) i cant loose any baby weight because i have to watch my bp or i start seeing my pulse in my eyes which leads into headaches i cant walk too far because i get too tired to get back and i cant drive to far out of the way because i forget how to get back home...but i am still blessed... we have two teenage daughters and a healthy toddler son... and a wife that wants to help grow our family even more!!
i knew i was done havin babies after our son because of my age but having your doctor tell u no more still is heart wrenching nd sooo final.. u know...
thanks for reading and god bless!! feel free to email me with any questions or comments... b.***@****
Im 26 yr old and have a 6yr old lil girl. In April 2010 I had a cerebellar stroke which has left me with balance problems and a useless left hand. I saw my doc in Jan 2011 re contraception and she advised that I should never consider having any more children, as the risks were too high. After missed periods I was told it was probably my body "protecting" itself, however yesterday I did a home test and found out I am actually pregnant. Im terrified, am due to see the doc tomorrow but am trying to work out my options in my own head. I want to be here for my little girl not more disabled or even worse not here any more. Has anyone any ideas?
i am a 37 yr old female...since 2002 ive had 4 mini stokes...i have heart disease....ive recently gotten remarried and we r trying for a baby...when i had my last daughter almost 12 yrs ago i was considered high risk cuz of going into pre term labor wit my first daughter in '90....and in '96 i had 3 blood clots in my lungs so during the last pregnancy i had to inject myself wit heparin 2-4 times daily thru pout and for 6 wks after...i went to the drs 3days a wk the entire pregnancy...and im sure my drs would tell me its risky to have another...but ive defied the odds thus far...i was born wit a hole in my heart and an aneurysm...which drs have yet to take care...it was said at one time that im genetically desposed to having blood clots...hence im on plavix and aspirin for the rest of my life...yea me...lol...if i listened to everything the drs told me id be a walking panic attack everytime i feel dizzy or funny....i put it all in GOD's hands...whatever will be will be...ive had every test done known to man kind...some several times...always the same results....i might be pregnant right now and yes it worries me a little...and if drs say that its really really risky to go thru wit it...like life threatening to me then my husband and i will have to make a hard decision if it comes to that....medicine is not an exact science...whats risky for one is not risky for another....
Hello, I had a stroke at age 4. The doctoes still dont know why, typially I see. I am 6 months preagnant, a first time mom. My stroke has left me completely one handed but I can still walk without help. I have extreme anxiety issues with caring for Emmalee and preparing for the care. Because of the stroke I am a planner and I cant plan how to function as a one handed parent without someones guidance. Im totally lost. Please help anyone? thanks
I am 32 years old. My boys are 13 and 14. After having a mid-brain stroke 5 years ago I never considered pregnancy again and here I am 26 weeks along.  So far things are going well for me.  Since the stroke I had was bleeding instead of a clot, My OB/GYN has me seeing a neuroligist periodically throughout the pregnancy.  So far what I have learned is that I would run the highest risk of bleeding again during an active labor (remember all that pushing!!)  so they came to an agreement that I will  have a c-section. other than that it has been a wonderfule pregnancy. Good luck in whatever you choose to do
I'm 32 and just had my stroke. The only problem I have from my stroke is some vision problems. I had changed birth control and that is what I think caused the stroke. I have two children and I would love more. Your story gives me hope. Thank You.  
I had 2 TIA after my second son was born. Doctors found out that I also have a whole in my heart (PFO). I am scarred to have it closed and I would love to have another baby. Since your case is similar to mine but I didn't have my PFO closed I would like to ask you if you did become pregnant after you had your PFO closed. do you have any complication from PFO procedure? My OBGYN and neurologist say that I should have PFO closed before I become pregnant.
I take xeralto (blood thinner) and want to eventually become pregnant. I also have protein S deficiency. What are my chances of becoming pregnant?
I am 25 years old and had a stroke 4 weeks ago. It happened in the cerebellum which is really rare but lucky. I have no paralysis and my headaches are gone. I consider myself very blessed. I have a 3 year old and was trying to conceive in the 8 more prior to the stroke. So I have some baby fever. Naturally, my doctors avoided giving me direct answers to my pregnancy questions as well. They also have not discovered the cause of my stroke yet. I'm really nervous about getting pregnant again because with my first pregnancy I had Hyperemisis Gravium which is basically extreme morning sickness.. To the point where I would throw up blood, lose 20 lbs within the first 3 weeks, and have frequent trips to the ER for iv treatments. So I doubt it will mix very well with the stroke :/. But I want more children so I'm going to go for it!
I'm Bonnie , had 2 strokes and due in January . I also had my hole in heart closed by pfo closure. I have really high cholesterol.. Scared did you get pregnant and have natural delivery? Thanks
I had a stroke at the age of 3 im 20 now and only really started thinking that one day soon i want to be a mum and worried because i have slight hemiplegia on my right side and of course having the stroke will harm my children as they develop inside me and or harm me or give me another stoke ....