Stroke Community
Paralyzed On The Right Side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Paralyzed On The Right Side

I am a home health aide i work with a 62 year old guy who suffered a brain aneurysm many years ago, which left him paralyzed on his ride side his arms and legs. Hes still very with it knows everything thats going on around him, no memory loss, he uses his left hand to eat toast in the morning and holds his cup in his hand when he drinks hes very capable of moving his left side of his body. Hes been standing up with his walker when i get him out of bed into his wheelchair. When he stands up i do need to support him so he can keep his balance and its for a couple minutes. I need some feedback and answers, do you think it would ever be possible for him to walk on his own even for a short distance, and start doing more on his own slowly but surly, if so what is there to do to try and make him stronger and start doing things on his own little at a time.
Have you spoke with him about how he feels about this? Does he seem willing at all? It's real hard to say, yes... he could do this. If he doesn't have an interest.
9 mo ago, I started having (CVMs) bleeds in the small veins of my brain. Docs also say MS. I lost mobility within  weeks. I'm 47 and I WANT TO WALK!!! I have worked hard  to walk and do normal things again! I am numb on my left side constantly. I cannot feel both feet a lot of days. I am usually able to feel pointer finger and thumb on left hand.My right side is normal most days. When I want to walk, I put a knee brace purchased from Wal Mart, on my left knee to keep it from buckling. I am to the point now that I can walk/shuffle short distances with a walker. Like to the bathroom. Then I need to rest. I don't know if this is possible for him unless he can hold the walker with his right hand. My walker has wheels, I have to be very careful, if I lean on it too much it will tip forward.  Please be very careful! Best wishes to you!
NiCee