Please help, extreme spasm after stroke
My mom had a stroke sept/2008 (5 months ago). The stroke affected her to be left side paralyzed. A physical therapist works with her 3 times a day and she practices everyday. She walks very slowly and with difficulty  by a cane and a helper. She gets Gabapentin for pain and muscle spasm. Last night she had extreme spasm almost every 5 minutes. It was very painful and uncomfortable because her left leg(affected leg) was folded completely and was not possible to relax it. I am wondering what can be done beside massage, which wasn’t really helpful,…and what medicine can be helpful. Is there any exercise to help her? Any help would be appreciated

I had problems with spasms shortly after my stroke.  I was put on clomazepan (?sp) which helped tremendously.  However it is habit forming & I had to wean myself after a couple of months.  I still ocasionally have spasms but they are nowhere near as bad.

Good luck in helping your mum.

HTH

Sue

How is your mom? A small of number of stroke patients may develop seizures or spasms. I would recommend that you first discuss this with your mom's doctors for proper management. Prescription medications are usually indicated to help control this symptom. With regards to the exercises, this is usually designed depending on the type and extent of the stroke.

Take care and regards.