Possible stroke recovery 18 months later?

My 79 year old grandmother had a stroke 18 months ago. At the time she lost all movement in her right hand side, face, arm, hand and leg. She regainded face movement and speech relatively quickly and had some leg movement with physiothearpy. After around 4 months, physio was stopped and it was decided by doctors and physios that she would not recover any further. She has lost all use of her leg that she had recovered since then due to lack of use and her arm and hand never made any movement.

At the beginning of this week however, for no apparent reason, my grandmother raised her arm. Since then we have been doing exercises with her and her arm is beginning to move more and more and her fingers are starting to open and close....she has quite a strong grip. Her leg is getting some more movement also.

Does anyone know why is this happening now? Or if it is common for movement to return such a long time after the stroke? Could this be the beggining of a recovery?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Lindsey
I am surprised that they stopped therapy after only four months. Improvement can be had well over four months. Was it a question of money?
As i know please watch recovery till 24 months. Recovery is ery slow. Be patient.
Thanks for your replys. When they stopped physio it was when she had returned to her own home. They said any improvement she was making was not useful improvements ie. it would never lead her to walking. They said any continued physio was only to maintain what she has gained back already and they couldn't pay for that. We asked about paying privately but they said they had never heard of private physios for stroke patients.
They lied.