Stroke Community
Post-stroke ankle swelling?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Post-stroke ankle swelling?

Does anyone know if repeated ankle swelling on the affected side is normal after a stroke? My recovery has gone really well, all things considered, but my left ankle almost always swells daily and then goes down overnight - looks great in a.m. I still have numbness/neuropathy in it, too, though improved. Are these related and what can I do? Has anyone had success in getting all feeling back in toes, bottom of foot, etc? I'll try almost anything!! Thanks, Choobie
Hello, I'm probably no help to you, my stroke did not cause very drastic residual effects in me so I cannot relate to what you are going through, but I was wondering, is it possible you injured your ankle during your stroke and are not aware of it? Could you have twisted it and the swelling is due to that? When was your stroke?
my partner's TIA was preceded by and followed by ankle swelling on the side effected.

there seems to be a lot of things that happen to people - that are "normal" experiences - that the doctors either don't know about or say nothing about after a TIA.
My left foot swells up daily, side l had stroke on.  Plus l have lost sensation, legs and feet tingly.  Doctor said it will take 6-12 months to regain feeling. (maybe)
Its been 6 years since my left side stroke.  I'm doing well too considering how bad it was.  Just recently my left foot has started swelling.  Its a hard swelling, Don't feel like a water swell, soft to touch.  Back last dec. My ankle started hurting so bad, I could barely walk on it, no results by going to doctor.  I started using an ace wrap to do dailey things, it helped, until I noticed it was swelling, so quit the wrap.  Only to get pain in knee, which upon xrays, I was told cartlage was thinning and it was Arthur. That quit to only get severe muscle tightening behind the knee almost as a pulled muscle.What next???lol  During these things I kept places rubbed down with "Watkins, Petro Carbolic Salve" I'm firm believer it was helping, more than Aspercream/Bengay/IcyHot, etc.  Now all thats left hurting is down my lft calf as a muscle cramp and left ankle has started swelling again.  Going into get it checked out again, but I fear my doctor will give me same answer of NOTHING.  That gets so upsetting, guess they just don't know!
hi,  my affected side stared swelling about 6 months after stroke, also never have gotton the numbness out. i dont get any answers from docs either, so guess im on my own with it.
My doctor says the swelling is caused by water retention due to limited movement of the affected area and the abnormal circulation of the blood. Physical therapy is key to healing so do continue doing therapy. It does not promise 100% back to normal thingy but hey, mind over matter and the will to heal will work over time.
Hi countrycuddles,

Did you manage to find the causes of your swollen left foot ? I m having one  since months ago and docs claimed it was water retention but I don't agree. Still struggling with bad pain and numbness.
www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/preventing-injury-to-affected-limbs-after-a-stroke
Offers some information towards the bottom of page.
Sounds like it's due to long period of inactivity and elevation should help.