Stroke Community
Pregnancy after Stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Pregnancy after Stroke

I am 21yrs old and recently suffered a (clot) stroke (3 months ago). I went in to see my Dr today and he said I can try for a baby in the new year.

Please, I would really like to hear from everyone who had a baby post stroke, good or bad.
Hi, I too would like to know about this.  I am 32 and suffered a stroke at 30.  My husband and I would like to have a child, but are unsure about my health issues and pregnancy.  My stroke was due to a dissection in my left vertebral artery and I have been told that it has healed completely.  However, I experience dizziness and unwell feelings around menstruation, which I'm sure is due to hormones, which makes me nervous about pregnancy.  Any information would be helpful.  I have looked on the internet and have not really found anything.  If you find out anything, let me know and I will do the same for you.  Take care.
I too had a stroke when I was 29...2 weeks after I gave birth to my son...That was 4 1/2 years ago.  I have been fine ever since,even though my corotid arteries are still occluded.  I had a bilateral corotid dissection.  I would also like to have more kids and my doctors THINK it should be ok, but there are no guarantees!!
They aren't sure what the dissection is from....pushing could have contributed to something breaking off and causing a clot.  I actually had a natural birth with a 6lb. 3oz baby...very normal pregnancy no known risks.  I was told if I had another baby that they would give me a heavy epidural and use forceps...c-sections are too risky for bleeding.  I would probably have to take some kind of blood thinner for preventive measures.  where are you located?  what do your doctors think?
Hi C.F.

Did they say what caused your dissection?  Was it the strain of giving birth?  May I ask if you delivered naturally or had a C-Section?  Did they say if you had another one that you would have to have a C-section because of all of the strain of giving birth?  That is what I am scared of.  That I will strain so hard that it may tear the artery again.  I would appreciate any info you can give.  Thank you wer4herd
Can I ask what a "dissection" is?

All I know about my stroke is it was caused by my pill and it was the clot.
OK, so I can rest assured that I didn't have that if they said it was a clot from my leg that travelled to my brain and caused by the pill?

I am recovering really well now, I think that has something do with my age, but I dont have any symptoms now at all. The Drs have said I can start trying for a baby on my honeymoon which will be exactly 6 months after my stroke. Is that to early? I really want a baby but I dont want to put myself at risk? I will be on the blood thinning meds throuout the pregnancy so I suppose that will minimise the risk?
bilateral carotid artery dissection:
A stroke secondary to carotid dissection is a loss of brain function due to a stroke caused by a tear in the lining of the carotid artery (a major artery in the neck which supplies blood to the front of the brain).

I basically have no blood flow to my brain except through my vertebral arteries.  My carotid arteries are almost completely closed.
My doctors think I should be fine also, but since I already have a child...I'm not sure I want to put myself at risk.
Hi, it sounds like your doctors know what they are talking about, and it sounds like you are doing really well to even be thinking about pregnancy six months after a stroke.  I was no where near being fully recuperated that soon, so I am very happy to hear you are doing so well.  It sounds like your doctors think its ok to start trying and they would know.  If you still feel uneasy, don't worry.  You still have time to decide what you want to do.  You are still really young, plenty of fertile years left.  :-)  Just voice your concerns to your doctor.  If they have you on blood thinners, I would think you would be ok.  Blood thinners and anti-coagulants (plavix, cumadin (coumadin), etc...)  should keep you from having a clot.  Did they find out what caused your clot to begin with?
Thank you for the personal info.  I am in WV.  I actually just went to my neuro to ask about babies and he said that having a child is the most dangerous thing a woman can do.  But, driving a car is dangerous and people still do it.  He doesn't seem to think that I am at a higher risk than anyone else for problems, even with prior history of stroke.  I am still leary about it though.  Did you talk to your gynecologist about blood thinners etc... if you were to get pregnant again?  I just wondered who told you your information because my neuro did not really give me any details of that nature.
JQ,

getting pregnant after a stroke can be a little dangerous.  if you are on blood thinning medicine right now such like coumadin or aspirin, you have to be sure that you know exactly when you are pregnant, because blood thinners can be very bad for a developing fetus.  another thing is your blood pressure when in labor, you have to make sure to keep it normal, that is very important.  right now, you should monitor your blood pressure frequently, this is a major key in keeping healthy and stroke free.  
its probably not what you wanna hear but maybe you should wait a while longer to try and conceive, you need time for yourself right now.  your body might need a little time to heal.  in whatever your desicion, good luck!
I spoke to my neurologist and my gynocologist and they both seem to think that I would be fine.  I was in Johns Hopkins for a week and had OT, PT, and speech everyday for about 1-2 months.  I really haven't had symptoms in the past 3 1/2yrs.  The first year, I was really shaken up by the whole thing and so was everyone else....then again, I had a newborn at home!  He's what really got me through it all.  All of you had strokes before having kids...I think it really helped me.

p.s.  The kind of stroke I had...it's basically a miracle that I'm alive and without residual effects.
FYI:  The blood thinner that you would probably be on is safe and is given in the stomach on a daily basis.
I am on Plavix at the moment but that isnt tested in pregnancy so they reccomend that I go on asprin when I am trying and all through my pregnancy.

I was at the Dr's yesterday and he said it was my pill that caused the clot. I am no longer on any contraception and therefore have minimised my risk of having another stroke. My Dr seems to think I wont have any problems trying as I dont have high blood pressure or any underlying problems.
Yep, they told me the same thing.  Mine was in the brain stem and I went through therapy for several months. They keep telling me how lucky I am.  I don't want to go through it again, but I do want a child.  I am going to speak to another neurologist and get another opinion just for my own peace of mind before my husband and I start trying.  It will be two years this Thanksgiving and I do still experience dizziness and slight balance and eye problems, not all the time, but every now and then.  Thank you for all of the info.
I had a stroke at birth. The doctors told my mother that I would never be able to do anything for myself. I would never walk, talk, feed myself, anything by myself. But they were wrong I just turned 21 and I'm getting married in febuary 2007. I can do everything that is put in my way. I want to have a baby more than anything and my mother says that I will more and likely have to have a c-section and I realize that. My stroke was caused by stress in the birth cannal. So they don't know if my body can handle the stress of a pregnancy. but I know I can do it but I am going to be very carful.
When having a baby after a stroke midwives will watch you very closely. Neither them nor you will let it get bad again.

I had a stroke after having a baby. I had an epidural and it went wrong so I had to have a blood patch (your own blood is put into your spine to clot and block a puncture hole). It all went wrong and three clots formulated in my brain. When I told the Doctors that I had started to have a severe headache the didn't listen and sent me home. I was like that for six days before I started to feel numb on my right side so I went back and I was just sent home again. I ended up collapsing being totally paralysed on my right side. Everyone thought I was going to die and my son was only a week old. Three days later I woke up, two days after that I started to walk again, three days after that I was discharged and five weeks later I had completely recovered. My neurologist said there is no reason why I shouldn't have another baby as he believes it will never happen again. It was caused by negligence. I am scared about having another baby even though it is what I really want. My pregnancy was wonderful, I never had a problem. Being a mother is the best thing. I am 24 now and my little boy is 16 months old. He is a joy. If your Doctor says it is ok go for it, just watch out for the signs and if they offer you a blood patch say NO! I have found that I am the third recorded person that this has happened to but I bet there are many more.
I also had a stroke after my son and the doctors at the hospital basically sent me home, even though half my face was numb, speech was slurred and had a hard time understanding people.  My own doctor also told me it was due to hormones!!!  It wasn't until my ob/gyn heard me on the phone that I was seen by a neurologist....2 weeks after I gave birth all of this happened.

I am back to "normal" now and have been fine for 4 1/2yrs., but I would also like to have more kids and am really nervous.  where are you located?  I would love talk to you.
Iwas 25 years old when I had my third baby by my husband, I want in to surgery to get my tubes ,tied because I thought that I was though with my pregnancy. I was breast feeding, and I did not went the meds to affect my child, so I opted to get the epidoral,and the anastesiologist was poking me in my back repeatedly, to find a space in between my veretebrae, on about the sixth time she hit something that sent heat and pain down my right leg and it kicked out by it's self. Three days later I was in the hospital paralized on one side. I had bleeding on the left of my brain, I stayed in the hospital for about to months, I also developed a clot in my leg from lack of movement. They ran 100's of test and 2 cats, And two mri's and they found nothing. I am now in process of a divorce and thinking about of the what if's. I might went to have another baby, I am now 30 and don't think I want to consider this option long, considering the risk involved after a curtain age.
Hello, I am new to this type of thing but,  I really need some type of input from other people who have suffered the same thing.
My story I will try to keep it brief. I was 24 years old when I went into labor to early. My son did not make it. At that time I was told it was one of those things and it probally would not happen again. I carried my son, Matthew to 24 weeks. It was a very hard and painful experience. I became pregnant again 9 months later with the help of clomid. I once again had a really hard pregnancy and began to have contractions a 13 weeks. I was put on bedrest with only bathroom privelges. I took medication to relax my uterus. I thank God up above carried my daughter to 38 weeks and 4 days. she weighed 9 pounds and 2 ounces... My miracle. However, little did I know what would be awaiting for me seven weeks from then.
I first had a spinal headache and had to have the spinal tap.I felt great after that my c-section recovery was very easy. (I did labor and push for over 3 hard hours).I was put on the pill at 6 weeks but,  I got sick with a severe sinus infection and a fever of 106 just 3 days later. It was April 2 2002, when I all of a sudden got the worst headache and lost my vision. I feel to the ground to dial for help. It was scary to know my baby was only 7 weeks old. I was sent to the University hospital where I stayed for 2 weeks. I could not see the first 7 days and double vision for over a month and a half. I have Factor V LEiden and I am hetrozygote. They said the combination of everything set up for the explosion. I had numerous blood clots in my brain. My husband was told I would not make it through the night. I did. I was told I would suffer from long term effects, I did not. I am a walking miracle. I later found out that my son more than likely had a clot in the umbilical cord. It was really hard to hear. My daughter is a walking miracle also.. I had her tested and she too has Factor V Leiden. I will be on Blood thinners for the rest of my life... My husband had surgery so we could not have anther baby. I would love to have another child. But, the dr's can not guarntee me anything. I want to be here for my daughter for a long time. I wish only the best for you all....
jennifer
I wanted to talk to other people who have gone through the same things. When I went to the high risk ob dr. he had no information on a woman who survived a blood clot in the brain and then got pregnant again. I have to be honest, I will always wish for that miracle drug so I could have another baby. I know some of you had questions about what would another pregnancy be like after this medical condition. I finally found another dr. that went over the steps of what a pregnancy would be like for me. ( not counting the vasectomy reversal) Everything would be monitored from the time I would expect a pregnancy to getting me off of the coumadin quickly to starting low weight heparin shots twice a day. Seeing my hematologist to make sure my blood was staying in check. From planning a C-section by taking me off of the heparin then to putting me back on coumadin after the C-section and in my case because the clot was so bad instead of the coumadin at first, keeping me on heparin until I was 7 weeks postpartum, basically getting me through and past the point that everything that happened the last time. That was not even going over the preterm contractions. Then he ended it by saying I still can not guarantee anything.. I would love to have another baby, but I could not imagine getting one headache during my pregnancy; I know I would lose it... The first year or so, I suffered from panic attacks, fear of dying, fear of not being here for my daughter, fear of not watching her grow up... It will be 5 years this April and I am still fearful, and I know not one person around my area that has ever had anything like this experience. I would like to talk to other people who have been through this..
God Bless,
jennifer
I am also a living miracle...which also happened 5yrs. ago this March!  I completely understand what you went through your first year.  My pregnancy, on the other hand was completely "normal."  I think I've come to terms that having another baby would probably not be the best idea.  Good luck!
Hey Guys! I am so glad I found this site. My name is Amanda, I am 20 years old and I suffered a massive brainstem stroke in 2005 from my birth control pills. I have since found out that I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and the doctors have no worries about me giving birth but they have recently put me on Lovenox. Does anyone know anything about this drug? Thanks
My family and I were recently in a horrific car accident where an tracker trailor rear-ended us. My 8 month old son lost his life in the accident and I suffered a stroke on my left side due to the extreme trauma of the accident. Another cause of the stroke was both of my corotid arteries were dissected (torn) in the accident. One was completed blocked with clots and the other one was partially blocked. I have just recently gotten out of the hospital, the accident was 2 months ago. I am still on coumadin after test show both of my arteries in my neck have healed. My husband and I are going to try for another baby around the end of the year or first part of next year. Does anyone know if it will be safe after getting off coumadin to start trying for another child?
I too am glad I found this page, it's comforting to know that there are other people my age to talk with about these things.  I also had a stroke on my 28th birthday, so it's been about a year now.  The doctors aren't sure if it was from the atherosclerosis (the plaque build up during the pregnancy) or the birth control pills.  My daughter was about 3 1/2 months old when it happened.  My husband & I would like to have another child within the next year or two.  I haven't talked to my doctors about it, yet.  In fact my neuro discharged me, I don't even go to see him anymore.  I am currently on aspirin daily, but I think that causes Reyes syndrome during pregnancy, is that right?
Good friends of me and my wife had a baby on 9/1/07.  She had to have a C-Section because she did not dialate passed 6cm and the medication they gave her to induce, made the baby's heart rate spike and crash.  The reason I'm giving you this information is to explain that she never had to push during the birthing process.
Now, yesterday (9/6/07) she had a stroke caused by the dissection of the corotid artery.  When she arrived at the hospital, her right side had been noticebly disabled.  After only five hours, she began getting the function back into her face, arms and legs, so the doctors didn't want to operate the repair the artery.  Today, 24 hours later, she seems to have almost completely recovered and has most of her function back.
What are the long-term effects of a stroke of this kind?  And have any of you experienced or heard of this kind of recovery?  We are extremely close to these people and want to do everything we can to help them recover.  What can they expect moving forward?
I would suggest going to see a hematologist and get tested for lipoprotein A....I just found out that high levels can cause stroke!

I also recovered very quickly and have no residual symptoms.  I do have to say that having a baby is definitely motiviation to get better quickly.  Good luck
I am now 34, and suffered a stroke when I was 30...most likely because of birth control pills..(why don't they do more awareness on them?? I mean they say it might cause one, but they act like it is no big deal...and I am sure to all of us, it's a HUGE deal!!- We should all make a commercial about this...lol...)
Anyways, I have two children and would really like another one...Do you guys think I am too old to even try?? Also, when I first had my stroke, they put me on Plavix and aspirin, but now I am just on an aspirin...I am 99% recovered, (slight visual loss, nothing major, and small issues w/ short term memory...but not that bad...)
I am worried that if I become pregnant, and don't realize it, with taking aspirin daily, what problems will or might occur?? Also, is there any natural blood thinners that would not affect the baby in a harmful way??
Thanks!!
my stroke happen to me at 29 yrs. i'm 31. i had dissected corotid artery. my right side is paralyzed. i worried about taking care of  a baby with one hand and arm is working. any advice?
This web site has been a help to me.  I am 37 and lost a baby named Michael at 19 weeks (this was in 3/07).  A few days later I had a stroke (actually I had one earlier in the pregnany that went undiagnosed since they did not do an MRI).  I am 99% recovered now, with some leftover anxiety and occasional speech glitches.  

We had tried for a baby for over a year and finally conceived Michael with clomid.  We would like another baby; however, a fertility specialist told us I cannot ever take any kind of hormone again, inlcuding clomid or any other fertility treatment-- which means I am probably infertile.  Have any of you gotten advice that you may use fertility helps while on heparin or lovanox?

thanks for listening and sharing.
Last January, 2006, I had a mini stroke. I was 36 years old. I recovered quickly and there has been no side effects. I was taking birth control pills and so the dr.'s say that must be the cause. They can find no other reason for it. I now take 1 aspirin daily. I have 1 son who is 3 and we are wondering about another pregnancy. I'm terrified! My neurologist and obgyn say it would be low risk for another mini stroke. I feel I was probably "no risk" this time last year but it happened. We cannot make a decision about another baby. I guess we want a sibling for our son, but I feel I will never be brave enough to have another pregnancy. I just cannot think about something happening during a pregnancy and leaving my son without his mom.
As for panic and anxiety, I suffered a panic attack about 3 weeks after the incident and that is also scary. My mind was consumed with "What if's?" And having migraines since then are another reason to cause me worry.
I just don't know how I will ever make this decision about another pregnancy and since I will be 37 this month I am feeling a little pressure....
I know the feeling....I just turned 35 and the clock is ticking.  I had my stroke (full blown) at the age of 29 and recovered fully.  That was 2wks after my son was born.  Now, of course, I want to have another child before it really gets too late.  My doctors didn't tell me know, but they did tell me that I would be on a theraputic dose of lovenox 2/day, and be monitored closely. I hope this helps.  Good luck!
Thanks for your comments. So, do you think you will have another pregnancy? Also, do you think that maybe you are more protected from another stroke since you will already be taking the necessary medications?
This has to be the most difficult decision I have ever made.
It is a very difficult decision to make.....but I've had 5yrs to think about it.  I do feel that I am a little more protected because 1) I will have 2 doctors monitoring me very closely and 2) both of my carotid arteries are occluded (no blood flow going through), so the chance of something breaking off and causing a stroke are slim...at least that's what the doctors tell me.  Now nothing is guaranteed as I found out the first time, but I hope to have another baby.  Also, I'm sure you know that the older one gets the riskier things get....I'll let you know what happens.  where are you?  just curious of your ob/gyn and neurologist.
I'm actually in Canada.  The doctors I have seen have alot of experience and both have been very encouraging. Both feel strongly that I will be fine. I'm the one with so many doubts just because I know how lucky I was and that it could have been so much worse.

My names clare n im frm ireland.  I suffered a stroke at age 26 sitting at home with my 18 month old son 3 months ago. I have recently found out that i am 2 months pregnant, very big shock i know. My consultant and neurologist seem to think that things will be fine. although ive been advised that i cannot have an epidural or spinal block, that i will probably be induced early and that i will not be allowed to push for too long. So i will prob end up having a c section. Other than that they seem ok with the situation!

I am 25 years old and 5 years ago suffered a central retinal vein occlusion(CVRO) in my right eye and because of that have permanent vision loss.  They say it is like having a "stroke" in my eye.  Now a week ago I find out have swelling in my left eye or my "good" eye and am devastated.  I just stopped my birth control pills even though my specialists thus far feel this did not cause either incident.  My husband and I wanted to tried to start having children but I am terrifed.  They told me to take a baby aspirin a day and wait it out.  My "good" eye is not too at risk for "stroke" and vision loss as a result.  Any suggestions or words of encouragement?!?!
Hi all, I have just found this site/ forum and have appreciated reading every message. I am now 29 and had a stroke 11 weeks after giving birth. My son is now 3 1/2 and my husband and I are very keen to have another child. I have been given very little information about my stroke and have always felt as if all medical experts have been very vague with me as the cause is not known. I suffered from asphasia, poor memory, dizziness, headaches etc for quite a time. I was told that I would not be able to continue working as a teacher and that some of my symptoms would be permanent. I feel 90% back to normal but despite not being 100% I don't want to delay having anymore children. I believe that ample time has passed but my immediate family do not wish for me to have any more children. I too don't know what to do, who to speak to etc. I am so thankful that I can gain info and support from this site.

Jenny (Liverpool)
Hey everyone, I'm 22 years old and had a stroke at the age of 8. I would like to have a baby in the next few years but i don't even know if that is a good idea considering I had a stroke. I haven't talked to any doctors yet but I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.
I am 32 and have had 5 small strokes resulting in partial right side paralysis(doctors say it will get better with pt). To make matters worst I still suffer from hypertension amd diabetes. I want to be a mother and I'm hopeful that I will, afraid that it will be impossible saddens me.  Can somebody tell me something good
Iwas 25 years old whenI  tried to have my baby by IVF procedure due to my pco syndroms (syndromes). after beinginjected with gonadrpin for a few times. my body start to swellbadly. i knew that i had suffered OHSS that is ovarian hyperstimulation. after my eggs was sucesfullyharvested and fertilized the 2 embryos was put back into me. a week after that, i strarted to vomit and i was sent to hospital. it turned out that i had a stroke due to dissectionin my right brain artery. My Obgyn and neurologistrefuse to admitt that the stroke had anyrthing to do with the IVF procedure.I recovered from stoke 6 months afterand Iam trullyblessed that 10 months after that I got pregnant naturally. My obgyn and neurologist thinks that i will be finebut iam still worried about delivering my babybacouse i really don'twant to have another stroke......  
I had a stroke when I was 31......I have a three year old little boy and am considering having another. I have gone to the University of Iowa and they tell me with blood thinners I should be fine. Should........there's a part of me that thinks I'm crazy for even considering....My stroke was not small by any means but I have had no side effects. I am lucky. Am I pushing my luck............?
Just wondering how pregnancy is going or has gone?
I am 33yrs old I had a stroke last year and I'm on a lot of meds. I had my tubes tied 7yrs ago and now want another baby so I have to do IVF and I have to go see a maternal fetal medicine dr next week to determine if I can do IVF. I'm so scared they say I can't. Has anyone else gone threw this
hi, i would just like to know how ur pregnancy went, the one after your stroke?
First I'm sorry to hear so many stories of young woman having strokes, but happy because I'm not alone. I had a stroke less than a year ago. It was a vertebral dissection to the left artery due to a manipulation of the neck. As of today my stroke has healed but my neck is not. I go at the end of May to get a MRI and MRA to see if it's heal. I am currently almost 4 months pregnant and scared if I'm going to be able to have a natural birth. I still need to talk to my neurologist but wanted to have some insight from other women who are experiencing the same thing or have experienced the same.

Thanks for listening
JM111981