Stroke Community
Pregnancy after stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Pregnancy after stroke

I had a left sided ischemic stroke on 6/20/10 due to bilateral carotid artery dissections and a dissection in my right vertebral artery.  I'm 34 years old (and was 34 at the time of stroke) and my doctors think the dissections were caused by some sort of vascular genetic condition, although they have yet to find out which one.  I was originally completely paralyzed on my right side and unable to speak but have since made an excellent recovery and the only side effect I have now is Horner's Syndrome in my eye.

I would like to have kids someday but I don't know if I can, or if it would be safe to do so.  I've read some of the other posts regarding pregnancy after stroke and it seems like doctors have different opinions on whether pregnancy after stroke is safe.  Right now I'm taking aspirin and Plavix, and I had 2 stents placed in my left carotid artery after the stroke.  I'm a member of a carotid artery dissection group and there are some members in that group whose dissections were a result of giving birth.  I would assume if I were to have a child that I would have a C-section, but does being pregnant after already having had one stroke increase your risk for another stroke?  I've made an appointment with a gynocologist to get more info on all of this but I'd really love to hear from others who have been in similar situations.  Thank you so much for any help, feedback or advice you can offer!