Stroke Expert Forum
Process of Weaning off Comadin
About This Forum:

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Strokes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Process of Weaning off Comadin

After my first and so-far only stroke, at age 74 in October 08, I was taken off Plavix and baby aspirin [which were being taken daily as a preventative though they obviously did not prevent the stroke] and put on Coumadin.  The idea was that probably inside of a year, I might be able to be weaned off Coumadin. I am at 2mg daily, with monthly INR tests showing average results of 2.5.  Also taking Toprol, Rythmol, Lescol, exercising daily. eating a non-fat/ low-fat diet.  Three months ago, to deal with my irregular hearbeat, I underwent a successfut cardioversion that which brought my bpm flucuations down from the 45-110 range to 60-75 bpm. Assuming I begin weaning off Coumadin and go back on baby aspirin only, can I expect to have to return for CHECK UPS FREQUENTLY to see how everything is going?  Or can I safely schedule myself to be away traveling for a month or so at a time, riding around overseas on airplanes?  Could you give me some idea of what is typically involved in the weaning off process?  Thanks.
Related Discussions
Hi,
Anticoagulants should always be weaned off properly .The dose has to be tapered gradually . Please follow your doctors advise strictly . It is always essential to continue the monthly check ups of PT/INR during the weaning process .The precautions during weaning off are same as those during the therapy .  Numerous factors, alone or in combination, including travel, changes in diet, environment, physical state and medications  may influence response of the patient to anticoagulants.  So I would advise you to refrain from traveling till the weaning process is over . Please keep the intake of Vitamin K consistent and eat a well balanced diet . Do not increase the intake of green leafy vegetables . After the  therapy with Coumadin is discontinued, the anticoagulant effects may persist for about 2 to 5 days. Please consult your doctor for the detailed instructions . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...
Apr 16 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank