Stroke Expert Forum
Process of Weaning off Comadin
About This Forum:

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Strokes.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Process of Weaning off Comadin

After my first and so-far only stroke, at age 74 in October 08, I was taken off Plavix and baby aspirin [which were being taken daily as a preventative though they obviously did not prevent the stroke] and put on Coumadin.  The idea was that probably inside of a year, I might be able to be weaned off Coumadin. I am at 2mg daily, with monthly INR tests showing average results of 2.5.  Also taking Toprol, Rythmol, Lescol, exercising daily. eating a non-fat/ low-fat diet.  Three months ago, to deal with my irregular hearbeat, I underwent a successfut cardioversion that which brought my bpm flucuations down from the 45-110 range to 60-75 bpm. Assuming I begin weaning off Coumadin and go back on baby aspirin only, can I expect to have to return for CHECK UPS FREQUENTLY to see how everything is going?  Or can I safely schedule myself to be away traveling for a month or so at a time, riding around overseas on airplanes?  Could you give me some idea of what is typically involved in the weaning off process?  Thanks.