Stroke Expert Forum
Process of Weaning off Comadin

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Strokes.

Process of Weaning off Comadin

After my first and so-far only stroke, at age 74 in October 08, I was taken off Plavix and baby aspirin [which were being taken daily as a preventative though they obviously did not prevent the stroke] and put on Coumadin.  The idea was that probably inside of a year, I might be able to be weaned off Coumadin. I am at 2mg daily, with monthly INR tests showing average results of 2.5.  Also taking Toprol, Rythmol, Lescol, exercising daily. eating a non-fat/ low-fat diet.  Three months ago, to deal with my irregular hearbeat, I underwent a successfut cardioversion that which brought my bpm flucuations down from the 45-110 range to 60-75 bpm. Assuming I begin weaning off Coumadin and go back on baby aspirin only, can I expect to have to return for CHECK UPS FREQUENTLY to see how everything is going?  Or can I safely schedule myself to be away traveling for a month or so at a time, riding around overseas on airplanes?  Could you give me some idea of what is typically involved in the weaning off process?  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Anticoagulants should always be weaned off properly .The dose has to be tapered gradually . Please follow your doctors advise strictly . It is always essential to continue the monthly check ups of PT/INR during the weaning process .The precautions during weaning off are same as those during the therapy .  Numerous factors, alone or in combination, including travel, changes in diet, environment, physical state and medications  may influence response of the patient to anticoagulants.  So I would advise you to refrain from traveling till the weaning process is over . Please keep the intake of Vitamin K consistent and eat a well balanced diet . Do not increase the intake of green leafy vegetables . After the  therapy with Coumadin is discontinued, the anticoagulant effects may persist for about 2 to 5 days. Please consult your doctor for the detailed instructions . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !