Stroke Community
Rehabilation at home - what can be done for a 90 stroke victim??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

HI anyone who can help!
My mom had a stroke attacked late last year at the age of 89.  Her right side is now paralyse and her speech has been affected.   Currently we have put her in a retirement home (where we come from, there is hardly any nursing home and if there is the price is sky-rocket and we definately cannot afford).

The care for her is good, but the rehabilitation is next to none, except for whatever exercise we can provide.  There is a stroke rehab centre, unfortunately we have to bring my mom over if we want her to go through the programme as they are NGO and do not supply for house calls.

My question is this :-
1. how can we try to do rehab and help my mom with her movements and her speech?

2. I was told that the first 3 months is critical to her being able to move, otherwise she will stay this way forever.  But from what i hv read in the posts earlier, even some miracles is able to happen for those more than 2 years, is this still possible considering my mom's age.

3.  She is fully alert in her mind and can understand us but unable to speak and has actually i think stopped trying, what can we do to help her gain her speech - no she is not seeing a speech therapist as we have to bring her to the hospital daily and it is very discomforting to keep moving her in the ambulance.  

My siblings and i would have liked to move her back home for home care, but all of us have to work to support family and also the medical expenses that is piling up.  

Would appreciate any counsel or advices/suggestions that are positive,

Thanks much in advance
Tags: Stroke
The best situation is for her to remain home.  Rehab in nursing homes is non-existent, except for "token" care so they can optimize insurance reimbursement.  I would not give up hope. I started caring for my "little one" when she was 99 years old, bedridden, incontinent, unable to speak or walk and partially paralyzed due to stroke. The doctors had given up on her and recommended a hospice. At age 104 I had her walking and talking. Enjoying every day dressed to the nines.  No longer incontinent.  She is now 110 years old. I used a protocol I developed called "the optimal experience day".