Stroke Community
Severe throbbing pain in the back right of my head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Hi, I was curious as to what if anything I should do about this:
I was doing a few push-ups as part of a work out routine, when all of a sudden I feel a sharp pain in the back-right area of my head (about where the neck joins the cranium). The pain was throbbing, I know it was from a blood vessel or artery that was causing the pain whenever it pumped. The pain was so bad it literally pinned me to the ground and I was unnable to move for about 20-30 seconds. After that, I've had a mild headache for about an hour now in the same area of my head.
When it was happening I immediately thought stroke but didn't think that possible since I'm only 19, almost 20. Any ideas what this could be?
A little more background info: I'm not overweight at all, I go running fairly often, and have been doing this same work-out routine for a while.
Tags: head, Life, Pain, Stroke
It sounds like your best bet would be to contact your doctor as soon as
possible.  It could be nothing then again, be safe rather than sorry.

A burst blood vessel in your head would interrupt your life, if you have
people who depend on you that you care about and they care about you,
get the advice of a medical doctor.  Good luck.
Ok so im having the same problem as this person except for the fact that mine has been going on for a year and just the other day it started spreading to my face, what could this be?
I have the very same problem/pain as alexl.  Feels like an electric shock in the head behind the right ear on the head.  It's happened quite a few times through out my life, since I was a kid.  Only when I excerted myself physically.  He has described this exactly to the T, same like my experience. It's stopped for some years, and now I feel pressure there and warmth again.  what specialist can I contact for this?  what could it be?
bobrien5

HI my name is liz im 30 years old im having almost the same problems its started after a workout that i started having this server dropping in the back of my head it hurt so bad that i was able to feel the blood bumping true my head i dont know what could be wrong i do have hyperstation for the last 9 years and when i checked my blood pressure today it showed it that it was pretty high 159/109 and i even took my blood pressure meds a hour before i took the test what can be wrong with me im still having pressure in my head even after taking Advil today can anyone help me please
my husband is having the same problem i.e, severe head pain at the back with chest pain (not that much, but he feels something is blocking when he's breathing, and sometimes sounds like Astma), really worried about him... pls help
Lisa
I too have throbbing in the back of my head and neck, but my comes whenever and usually will last at least a day maybe two. This has been going on for about 4-5 years now but is unberrable when it happens. Starts in the center of the back of my head/neck area and shoots up my head and my temples etc. About puts me in tears every time the blood flows it throbs so bad. Not sure what to do of this or what it could be  
This could be an exertion headache which is common in people that have suffered migraines.  However, it could be more dangerous.  Best to get it checked by the doctor and perhaps your blood pressure too.
I have the same pain but on the left side of the back of my head. It's happened before but it recently came back during one of my workouts and it was really intense pain. I had to stop for a few minutes and i couldn't continue working out because any force just made it worse. It feels as if a blood vessels or artery is throbbing with a lot of pain. Recently it's slowly going away but i want to know what it could be?
I just noticed but it also happened when i was doing chest exercises
I am a 33yr old male and have been experiencing short sharp pains at the right rear of my head at random times over the last few years. Sometimes the pain is sharp but only lasts 1-2 seconds and feels like a painfull twitching sensation. Other times the pain is more severe and is more like a quick but very painfull throbbing that will last only 2-4 seconds, but it is bad enough to make me close my eyes and wince with pain. I have heard of ice-pick head aches but I am not convinced it is a headache. I will get it at anytime during the day even when sitting still relaxed exertion doesnt seem to make a difference. It is always in exactly the same spot inline with my right ear toward the back of my head. have had no consultation but it seems the same symptoms as other are experiencing . what is the concensus ?
the headache is on the right side of the lower part near the back of my neack its throbing kind of buring pearcing kind of pain some times during the headach its come to the front part of my head and then it always stays tothe back of my head can you tell me what this is
Go and see a Chiropractor (spelling?) I had exactly the same and all a dumb doctor will give you is paracetemol!! Its a problem with your back..................as most problems are. He will twist and crack your neck and you'll feel great afterwards!!