Stroke Community
Stomach Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Stomach Pain

My mother suffered a massive stroke 8-29-08.  The doctors said it looked like an atomic bomb went off in her head. She can not talk, sallow or walk.  She has not been able to respond to any commands, such as blink your eyes, squeeze my hand.  I know she knows who I am and my father.  She is 84 years old and has been married to my father for 64 years. My mother is an amazing woman. Until she suffered this stroke she had more energy than any person half her age.  She washes all the windows in her 4 bedroom house inside and outside every other month!!!  She has the most beautiful garden of flowers that she attends to everyday. She is loved by many for her warm and kind heart. I was very blessed in my life to have such wonderful parents.  My father and I are both working very hard to support her and get her home. However I am so frustrated I'm not sure what to do.  I pray someone can help guide me.  God is at work because he helped me to find my way here.  Every evening when I visit she is always in pain, I think it is stomach pain maybe gas. She pulls on her g-tube and lifts her knees.  When I locate a nurse to attend to her it's always the same situation.  No Tylenol has been given to her since the morning dosage.  Sometimes nothing all day till we arrive. I work nights, so I visit her during the day. On my days off I am there in the morning and return in the evening.  My father also goes back and forth to visit.  My father is 86 years old, he has had a hip replacement and wears a pacemaker. The nursing home is across town. There are many other facilities that are much closer.  My dads world lays in this hospital, his "English Rose" that's what he calls my mother.   Yesterday the nurse came in the room and check her blood sugar level and came back in with a shot of insulin.  I asked her why was she receiving insulin and she replied for diabetes.  My mother was not a diabetic before the stroke, shouldn't the doctor inform us that she is now?  We did not choose this skill care nursing home the hospital did.  The insurance company will only pay for her care until Dec 12th. Then my father will have her moved to a skill nursing home that is around the corner from their home, however, it will cost my father  $7500.00 a month.  I do not believe she is receiving the best of care. Is there anything we can do to change the current situation?