Stroke Community
Stroke after Cataract Surgery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stroke after Cataract Surgery

A couple of days ago my uncle went in for cataract eye surgery. He was joking with the nurses in recovery, he got dressed and was about to leave when his speech became distorted. He then collapsed, lost consciousness and passed away a few minutes later. The coroner ruled the cause of death as stroke. He had no previous history of stroke. My family and I have been trying to come to grips with this because it was unexpected. Could his stroke have had anything to do with his cataract surgery or the anesthesia he was given? Or was it merely a coincidence that it happened right after his surgery?
Related Discussions
8 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1513346_tn?1290367044
I have suffered with gout for decades. I am self-employed as a landscaper. I developed cataracts and had one removed. It took 2 hours to remove because it was so hard. Two weeks later, on Sept. 1, 2010, I had a stroke. I have regained my speech but my right side is still
paralyzed. Did your uncle suffer with gout? ***@****
Blank
1513346_tn?1290367044
Two other men suffered strokes after cataract surgery
1. Henry Peter Koop
Henry Peter Koop passed away Mar. 2.  In 1993 during cataract surgery, he suffered a stroke.
http://old.mbconf.ca/mb/mbh3709/obits.htm

2. Allen Smith
Congressional Report: Eventually - after being hospitalized with a stroke, after cataract surgery

http://books.google.com/books?id=MGt2cPUtKXAC&pg=PA8037&lpg=PA8037&dq=%22+stroke+after+cataract+surgery%22&source=bl&ots=0FIIWb1ON-&sig=w-92VgqqTrT1EQK6ZcOHwsgeU8U&hl=en&ei=yBLpTN2DO4KClAeOg6GWCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22%20stroke%20after%20cataract%20surgery%22&f=false

Time Magazine: May 7, 2000
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,44550-7,00.html
Blank
my mom got stroke after the eye surgery. It  happened two days back. Her right side is paralyzed.
Is there any hope to became normal again?
Blank
I have had cataract surgery done June 2012, two weeks later had a major stroke, paralyzed on right side. with physical therapy I've regained enough to walk with aid (after 1 year) but still can't use right hand. Doing aquatic therapy now & hope I will improve more with time. I also believe that the eye surgery caused the stroke, had no symptoms at all and was healthy. I also am prone to gout. pd4106
Blank
1513346_tn?1290367044
My condition is still the same after 3 years. I use a wheel chair most of the day and have a cataract in my other eye which I am afraid to have removed. I am 69 years old and can walk only with support. I wonder why no doctors have conducted research on the connections between cataract surgery and strokes!
Blank
1513346_tn?1290367044
Mr. pd4106,

Were you taking gout medication at the time of your cataract surgery?
At the time, I was taking Methylprednisolone is a synthetic corticosteroid
drug for swelling.

David
Blank
I had cataract surgery a few weeks ago. At a follow up hospital appointment the nurse commented that two of her patients that  day had a stroke since their operation. Seems rather a coincidence
Blank
In the 80s, my father, then about 68, had cataract surgery in the morning and a significant stroke in his sleep that night.  We were assured that there was no correlation  Sadly. his life was never the same and he died six years later, never able o care for himself.

Seeing these posts, I now wonder.  .
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Stroke Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank