Stroke after rotator cuff surgery
My mom had a major stroke(ischemic) 5 days after outpatient rotator cuff surgery.  During my mom's rotator cuff surgery they asked her if she had any history of blood clots, she said yes (although it was 20 yrs ago) and took out compression hose that we thought were going to be put on her before the surgery.  After the surgery we noticed the bag of compression hose were never opened or placed on her.  Subsequently 5 days later, she suffered a massive stroke at approx. 5am but was not found until approx. 3pm later that afternoon by a family member.  Ambulance was called immediately and was taken to our local regional hospital where it was determined that she suffered a massive stroke that appeared to be caused by a blood clot.

The stroke affected her right brain, therefore her left side was paralyzed.  Although she has some tingle feeling in her foot/leg and arm there is really no movement at this point.  Her blood pressure was high and she was taking blood pressure medication although I don't recall how long she was taking this.  Could the lack of using the compression stockings before/after her rotator cuff surgery have prompted this stroke?  Was the Dr. negligent for not placing or instructing us to use these stockings during and after the surgery?  My mom is 68 yrs. old and has always been very healthy and independent so this is a huge adjustment for her to deal with and accept.   She is a very good rehab facility and has started her physical therapy, luckily there is little damage to her memory and is very aware of everything going on, my worry is that depression will set in but hopefully some medication and counseling can help as well as all of our family support which we know is paramount to her success.  What are the chances that my mom will regain use of her left side if she feels some tingling sensation - is there an approx. time frame for this?  Is the Dr. that performed the surgery negligent for failing to put the compressions stockings on her?    Thank you for any help or information that you can provide as well as any suggestions you may have for her care and recovery.  I really appreciate your time!