Stroke Community
Stroke recovery time

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Stroke recovery time

I noticed a number of questions about recovery time from strokes.  The most recovery occurs in the first 3 months.  The next 3 months is the next most recovery and the next 6 months the next. After about a year some recovery will occur but the pace is typically very slow.

Think of it like driving a car. The first 3 months it goes 100 miles an hour. The next 3 50.  The next 6 months about 25 and after that about 5 miles an hour.

It's important to take full advantage of early recovery periods.

It is important to get help at the earliest signs of problems (e.g., within 3 hours) because there are medications that can prevent further damage in some people.

A stroke isn't a 'cold' nor a 'death warrant'. It is serious and you need to take action but with planned measured effort you can make a difference in functioning.

I recommend keeping a journal of events-- then you can look back for patterns.  A stroke can mess up ways of processing information, of communicating. The stroke person and the significant others need to learn to communicate anew which can be done with good humor and attention.  

My mother can't get pronouns right...so we've joined her in screwing them up and we now rely on context more than precision of language.  We also don't hesitate to translate for medical staff who don't have the time to learn the new language. It also takes her time to process information-- as much as 12 hours at the start of the stroke. So we'd ask something in the morning and literally get the answer at the end of the day.
Re Recovery Time, Thank you for posting this.  My husband had a "mild" stroke on Dec 18, and we are still trying to figure out how to process all the changes that have occurred in our lives.  We're not even sure what "mild" means for he had a stroke that left his entire left side affected (with little to no sensation), but his speech, mobility and brain functions seem relatively unimpaired.  We know we are more than grateful, but it's been a little over a month with very slow improvement, so we're not sure about the future.  Reading your note and finding this forum is very helpful.  We will see our new neurologist this coming week.  I have started a journal and will be ready with questions.  My questions right now are:

1.  Should we fear a second stroke?
2.  How much improvement can we expect in that magic 90 day window?
3.  How much exercise is "good" for his rehab?

I'm wondering what others have experienced with "mild" strokes.  Thank you!  Beth
here are some questions to ask your neuro.
How many patients has he/she seen fully recovered and what did they do to recover? This is not the ADL recovery.
What clinical trials are going on right now that the patient would be a good candidate for?
What treatment options have been discovered in the last 5-10 years? This is to determine if he/she is up-to-date or if you will have to do all this research yourself.
Who are the best therapists working in your clinic for stroke rehabilitation and why do you consider them to be the best?
Who do I work with if depression takes hold?
What books on stroke recovery do you recommend?
What internet sites/forums do you consider best for stroke patients? There are at least 15 out there.
Please describe the area using pictures/scans that were affected by the stroke.  What functions would normally be affected by a stroke in that area? How large is the penumbra?
If you say that the strokee will not recover, what is the clinical reason behind that diagnosis?
Hi my name is Rosamarie on January 20, 2010 my father who is 64 years old and a diabetic suffered a massive stroke. At this moment he is in a deep coma. He moves his hands, legs back and forth. His eyes tear. He opens his eyes once in a while but does not focus. He also has moved his head when he hears, voices not much though. His Nuero-doctor states he has a poor prognosis. But he doesn't gives us detailed information.Beth thanks for the questions you posted I wrote them down and I know they will be very helpful. We are praying so much for his recovery, we have so much faith even though the doctor gave up on him. Just curious to ask what are th chances that he can come out of the coma? Also they want to take him out of ICU is that possible knowing how delicate he is? I would glady appreciate your answers and your experiences.

Thanks!
I had a small right hemmorhagic stoke, on September 2, 2010, I heard that recover time was only 6 months then after that you cant recover anymore, I have a problem with this, I cant understand why you cant recover anymore after 6 months. and I need more info on the subject, I am young (only 44,) I still have a little balance truble and use a cane to walk but I can walk without one for a little while, but my girlfriend hads a big problem with my attitude, she says she would have done this or that, and cant understand why I am a little Nonchalant about it, but that is the way I feel, I tend not to worry about it, is anyone else like this, or is it just me? Thanks
Hi wyvern,
I am sorry you had a stroke. I had a major stroke on in Jan. 2010. I don't know who told you that you can't recover after 6 months, but they are flat wrong. It took me 4 months before I even started to try and re-learn to read and write again and I am better than when I started and I get better every day. It is very slow, improvements happen each day and will continue. The stroke recover is a life long journey, but it doesn't stop at 6 months. If that was the case I could not be writing this well right now. I know it is not perfect and I struggle to remember some words, but I am recovering and will continue to recover, and so will you. I am sorry your girlfriend does not understand what is going on with you right now. I think all stroke survivors have to go through that with friends and loved ones. Everyone thinks a few months should enough and you are just back to normal. Well, they just don't understand and never will unless they had a stroke. There are many emotional things that you go through along with the physical things and these are the things that people cannot understand. Our brains have to re-wire itself around the dead spot, and by re-wiring itself it also re-invents itself and it is always better. Hang in there, you will be fine. It always takes a lot longer than we want it to, but it gets better everyday. Talking to other stroke survivors was a big way for me to help the recovery start quicker and helped me understand things better than my doctors did. I will ask you any questions you may have. I wish you well.
God Bless,
Tim
my father was hit by a stroke on left side of the brain, leaving his right side of the body fully paralysed.its been almost 21 months now, and he is still in a process of recovery.
the doctors practicing an aelopathic medicine had very little options and suggestions for my dad, but the Indian Ayurvedic medicine magically helped in speedy recovery.

he is supposed to take medicines constituting Gold as one of the major ingredients.

its been 3 months now since we started ayurveda and we can see the change.

all the best.. please explore and try other treatments as well, rather than following the conventional remedies.
thanx
Monis, glad to hear about your recovery. Could you please let us all know about this medicine or how to get it from where etc? we would like to know really!!

my father had a stroke on 10th May 2011 due to major heart attack. he was on ventilator, trying to wean him off docs found he was in coma, he remained not opening his eyes for next 5 days, when docs told my mother of him having hypoxia brain damage, my mum went to him, asked/forced him to open his eyes n he did. from there he didnt do anything else until after 3 weeks he started to move his right foot toes and within a week he started to move his right leg. a week later i.e. now, he started to caugh his secretions out himself, mildly move his hands and very rarely his head...we have hope..we have faith that he will recover , he is doing it very slow, but its happening. we dont have therapy much, but me and my brother and my mother (that's our whole family) are trying our best to bring him to life...he isnt talking but since two days he has become responsive to all sounds and voices...he looks at people starting today...earlier he only would stare with an empty gaze...i am waiting anxiously for the day the docs remove his tracheastomy and NGT and feed him orally!!!
My brother in law had a stroke in February after having a heart attack and ablation, he was already weak through having a wipples operation for pancreatitis four years ago so he struggled climbing stairs and sitting and standing so his stroke was a double wammy. it took him three months to walk. He was having pysio every day in the hospital and is home now  We never give up i work his arm constantly and because of this, he has no swelling and can lift his arm up but cannot open his fingers, so I purchased the neurotrac rehab system which opens his fingers. when he stands to go to the toilet I ask him to put all his weight on his bad leg, and he stands doing this holding my shoulder. There is so much out there, but you are not told much.  I am going to take him to the toning tables next week. Recovery never ends I do believe that the more they do the better and rest in between so if I walk him for 20 minutes I leave him to sleep but when he wakes, I get him doing other things, and I find it works.
hi sameer,
i read ur post.. regarding the ayurvedic treatment which we are giving to our father is prescribed by a Doctor who teaches in a university and practices in the medical facility of this college and is a PHD. in Ayurveda.

Sooner u begin this treatment, better it wd be.. the prognosis process will be quicker.

Some of the Medicines we are giving to my father are :

1. Yogendra Rasa with Gold( by Doothpapeshvar labs )
2. Bhrami Vati with Gold( by Doothpapeshvar labs )
3. SmiritiSagar Rasa ( Doothpapeshvar )
4. Bhram Rasayana ( Kottakal )
5. Kshirbala 404 oil ( kottakal )
6. Maha Narayan tail (for massage to be mixed with Kshirbala oil and one moreoil.. forgetting its name )
7. Ekadvir Rasa ( doothpapeshvar )
8. Mukta pishti ( doothpapeshvar)
9. Dakshavaleh
10. Maharasnadi Kwath
11. Dashmool Kwath

now these medicines are to be given as per the guidance of the doctor. ( not all of them will be given togather, there is an order  to take these magical remedies.

if u are further intrested in knowing more.. please write me and i will respond Inshallah! ( God Willing )

All the Best.
Stroke recovery time I think will depend much on the age of patient. There may be good chances of recovery for patients less than 50 years of age but for patients more than 70 years of age chances may be nil. Physical and mental recovery both will be different too. Mental recovery will be more difficult than physical recovery. This is my feeling after goingthrough so many cases. I would like to know openion of others in the matter.
How old was your father when he had this stroke? Was it haemorrhagic or ischemic? My husband had a massive haemorrhagic stroke on right side of brain, he was operated upon and some blood was drained. Ita almost 2& half months now and still unconscious. He is 65 hrs old. Everybody says that prayers are the only hope now, any idea how long will he take to become conscious?

Renu
My mother at age 86 had a hemmoraghic stroke.  I was told at the time that she had 4 days to live.  She certainly looked like it, barely conscious, on oxygen.  But she was in a rehab facility.  She kept getting better and better and was soon walking the halls with a walker and attendant.  She had a number of small strokes after that and lived another 2 years with a perfect mind to the end.

I have to think that the constant visits and love kept her alive, but that's no guarantee for someone to get better either.  So anything is possible.
Thank you for your post. My husband had a stroke during an operation for a removal of a brain tumor on October 4 2012.
It was a mild on the left side a the thalamus. His memory and cognitive skills are very much affected. I need help understanding how to help him . Please feel free to email me at ***@****. With prayers and support of family I am sure he will recover. Right now is the toughest stage,
understanding medications, his upset over not remembering things and worrying about all the financial implications. I have found this prayer helpful. God bless you all and help  keep you all positive in caring for your loved ones.
PRAYER FOR A DESPERATE  SITUATION

-  St. Jude 

O God, through your Blessed St. Jude, I pray for help in my extreme need.  The despair I feel has blocked out all hope, all confidence, all faith in a just solution to this situation.  Bring to me a spirit of trust and an optimistic attitude which will bring about an improvement of my circumstances.  Thou knowest my needs and I pray for speedy assistance, along with a restoration of my knowledge that all things work for good when trust in your mercy is placed above all other thoughts.

I ask you, St. Jude, the Saint of Impossible causes and tasks, to guide my actions so that I keep kindness and goodness in all my thoughts and dealings with myself and my  family,  and operate only for the highest spiritual good of, my family and myself, and all those I come in contact with.  Please change this negative energy to move toward God's brilliant light.  Please release me from ALL fear and doubt, and allow me to move forward in confidence, hope for a positive resolution, peace and love for us all.

Amen!
It's been a very short time since your husband's stroke.  What have the doctors told you?  What have they said about physical or other kinds of therapy?   He can possibly make a lot of recovery.  Something like speech therapy or some other kind of therapy could help your husband with his memory.  I could barely talk after my stroke because I couldn't think of the simplest words which speech therapy helped me with.  But really any kind of stimulation should help.  For example, I was given very simple crossword puzzles.  The therapist asked me to name all the flowers that I could think of.  It may take a professional person to know how to proceed without disturbing the person who can't remember.  Don't know what other disabilities he has, but physical therapy is paramount to gain physical strength and mobility.  

The sooner that you get the therapy, the more gains the patient will make.  After 6 months, progress slows down, and after a year, it gets extremely slow, but progress can STILL be made years later.

So keep your prayers close and give it time.  Wish you the best.
i had 3 strokes after operation on june 8td left side paralyzed one thing yhay caught my eye was the emotional effect. i
'mnot that much of an emotional person but since this has happenened even corny shows bother me  i
'"m almost in my 6th month of  re-hab now and hoping for better
I'm wondering what progress you have made so far.  I noticed that after my stroke I can get more angry than I used to with situations.  Only happens about once a month.  Are you still paralyzed or have you gained more movement?  Hope that you are happy with your progress.
Beth - I'm 56 and had a "mild" brainstem stroke last October. My entire left side was affected, but like your husband, my cognitive and speech skills seemed mostly okay. Most of the recovery happened in the first 6 months, but I do STILL notice small signs of recovery continuing. I went back to the gym at 3 months out, and just did what I could tolerate, mostly slow recumbent biking.  I've blogged about my recovery at www.uncanneryrow.blogspot.com. Hang in there, an never give up. ;)
I had a major stroke 5 years ago with aphasia (difficulty coming up with words and understanding speech) and paralysis. I noticed the most progress within the first 6 months, but I still have had continued progress each year since.  I notice major differences from last year, so that now no one has a clue that I've ever had a stroke.  And a friend of mine had her stroke 8 years ago with far worse speech problems, but she has made tremendous progress even within the last 3 years.  So never give up all.