Stroke rehabilitation for patients with back pain
I am pleased and relieved to find a furum where I can hopefully learn more to help my family cope and prepare ourselves for the road ahead.

The lead doctor has informed me that my dad has had a severe stroke and is unlikely to walk again.  His front neck arteries are blocked and given he isn't a fit person they cannot do anything about that.  The artery to the back of the brain is ok and I guess is keeping him going.

We are 3 weeks to the day into our journey and dad is still in bed in hospital and making slow progress. He has suffered a blood clot on the right side of his brain which has afffected his left side - this appears to be the most common stroke.  He can speak with a slur, can drink thickened liquid, can eat mushed up food and has some movement in his left leg and can detect when you rub his left arm.

I have a 1001 questions but would like to start by asking if anyone has been in this position where the patient has suffered previously from a bad back.  My father is in agony when they place him into the medical chair to help him recover posture and balance and whilst we reassure him that this is part of rehabilitation and is needed; he begs to be put back into the bed.  

Is there anything that can be done to help stroke victims who have back problems ?

Any guidance would be a great comfort.

Steve
Hey Steve!

Well, this would be a situation where you would probably require help from an orthopedician in addition to a neurologist. Depending on the type and the severity of the back issues, specific management can be planned and may include supports/ braces or surgical/ interventional measures. I would suggest discussing the situation with his neurologist with possible reference to an orthopedician.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you, yes this does help