Stroke Community
Stroke with negative MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Stroke with negative MRI

Where can I find more information on stroke with negative MRI?  I have found one article by M. Alberts.  Does anyone else have this situation?  I was diagnosed as having a stroke 10 years ago.  I have made a fairly good recovery though I still have weakness on my right side, tire easily, some trouble finding the word or being able to say the word/s, some difficultly understanding language, mild confusion at time when I am tired,a bit wobbly without my cane, trouble grasping or holding things in my right hand.  Some short term memory loss. Anyway, I recently had another MRI to check to see if I had had more recent TIAs.  No evidence was found of recent TIAs.  However, there was also no indication on the MRI that I had ever had a stoke. The neurologist's words indicated that the "alleged stroke" was all in my head. I have been struggling with this for 10 years and now to be told it doesn't exist  is frustrating in the extreme?  Or does anyone have a clue as to what it could possibly be if it  is not a stroke?  In the past 10 years at least 4 doctors have said that it was a stroke - classic stoke symptoms - but not all of them read the MRIs.  (The first MRI 10 years ago was read as "inconclusive" if I remember correctly.  But to see me was to know that I had had a stroke.
Exactly a year ago, I suffered what doctors called a "stroke".  Accumulation of blood was to the left side of my brain.  I recovered quickly and was released in 6 days.  However, I still suffer from some right side peripheral vision loss (in both eyes), moreso the right eye.  I also have, to a degree, short term memory and constant fatigue.  I sleep over 12 hours a day....the more the better ;).  Anyways, the two MRI's I received revealed nothing.  Doctors don't know what caused this.  A cat scan also revealed nothing and 'til this day, I'm no closer to knowing what caused the blood accumulation to the left side of my brain.  Anyways, they changed my condition from stroke to intracranial hemorrage. Anybody else with this condition is more than welcome to correspond with me.  BTW, my New Year's resolution is to do more exercising and eat more fruits and veggies.  Happy Holidays!
I was in the same situation as you all.  Nothing showed up on the MRI or CT scans.  The doctors/neurologists diagnosed me with what is called a Lacunar Stroke.  It occurs in the small blood vessel that feed into the larger ones in the brain and don't normally show up on the tests.  These happen in the deep recesses of your brain.  This happened October 1, 2008 and I am still recovering.  My former doctor wanted me to believe my symptoms were physcosomatic and threw all other emotionally disturbed terms at me.  What happened to me was real and I am not crazy!  I am thankful to have a whole new team of physicians who reacted quickly to correct what my former doctor failed to acknowledge.  I had all the symptoms and ended up in speech, physical and occupational therapy to get me back to some semblance of normalcy.  I'm still not 100%, but I am starting back to work and doing more and more of my daily routines. Did I tell you I am only 40 years young????  Ask your doctors about Lacunar strokes....Be blessed and I wish you continued recovery.