Stroke Community
Stroke with severe cramps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Stroke with severe cramps

My grandfather just had a Ishcemic Stroke.  He had been recovering very well except he had severe cramps, usually in the legs.  The doctors have no idea what could be causing it, and personally I feel like they do not care.  They would say "We have never seen a stroke victim with cramps before.  I don't know what to tell you" (literally).  They had him on several different medications, including a medication to relax his muscles. When that did not work, they dropped the muscle relaxer, and seemed to dismiss the fact that he is still in pain.

Then last night he began having seizures, which prompted this post.  He is getting worse by the day.  When we tell his dr, she says "oh, ok. Give him a couple hours." last night after sitting in the room for about 5 mintues, she stated "i didn't see any seizures" (even though the nurse noticed them about every 10 minutes) then she walked off.  Does anyone have any information on stroke victims who have severe cramps and seizures?  We would like any information you have so we can ask the dr if she has considered all the options.  Please help if you can!

Thank you
My father is having the same symptoms... lately he is in near constant pain.  I see you didn't get a response to your question in this forum, but I'm wondering if you were able to find some kind of successful treatment for your grandfather (I certainly hope you did). If so, could you please share it?  ***@****

Any help appreciated!

Take care.
my wife is experiencing the same problem...it seems that no information is available on this subject...if the forum would be so kind as to respond to these questions!! Urgently please...we need help!!
I would like to know the answer to your questions on this forum, I do hope that you received a reply perhaps elsewhere. It is very frustrating when healthcare professionals don't pay close enough attention to questions and don't try to find answers.

I have a question. My father has had similar experiences. He had a seizure with stroke like symptoms, his arm went numb, then he had change in sensation with a burning feeling. Thank God he recovered quickly but has a remaining slight loss in sensation in 2 fingers. Today he went to wash something and the water was cold, and he said he could feel the muscles in that hand starting to cramp. I'm not sure what this is, or if it will be something that always happens when he uses hot water? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Also, are there any exercises that are recommended for him? He had some help from occupational therapy, in terms of picking up small items from a table, but he gets quite frustrated with these exercises as sometimes he can pick all of them up, whereas on other days he can hardly pick one up. Would any exercises help? Thanks.
sorry, when he uses COLD water, not hot water