Stroke Community
Stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Stroke

My grand father had a stroke 3 weeks ago (mini stroke, doctors said).  He has been hospitalized since then.  In the bast 3 weeks he has been suffering from dementia.  after many test it has been discovered that there are 3 cloths and bleeding to the frontal lobe.  one cloth has completely blocked the vessel.  Doctors say that they can treat the cloths with blood thinners, but can not give due to the bleeding to the brain.  They have informed the family that becasue of his age (80) there is nothing that can be done.  they have consulted other hospitals but all say the same thing.

Before the stroke he was a smoker, but had the body and stamina of a 50 year old. Now he is looking  his age. and most days living in the past. even to the extent not realizing he is in the hospital.

Is there any advise or hospitals that you can advise me to contact that can help???

PS  2 years ago he had a by pay due to cloting in his leg.
First I would like to say I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. From reading your post the only advise that I can give is to not give up and spend as much time with him as you can. The doctors are correct when they said that they are not able to give him blood thinners. It could cause him to have massive bleeding in the brain that they would not be able to stop.
I am sorry to say that there is no cure or slowing down dementia once it has started. My uncle had dementia and at the end he did not even know who his family was. The only thing you can do is take one day at a time and remember the good times that you have had with him.