Stroke Community
Stuttering

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Stuttering

Could my stroke-induced stuttering be permanent, since areas of my brain are 'dead' and simply 'rewired' due to speech rehab. ? I can usually control my fluency, but when I am worried or stressed. my speech block and stuttering is really terrible. I had the stroke 2 years ago. It is really agonising. I am a 57 yr old female
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? The clinical presentation of stroke-associated stuttering is variable and it is important to rule out neurogenic stuttering  which typically appears following some sort of injury or disease to the central nervous system such as with stroke. For proper evaluation, it is best that you discuss this with your attending physician or your speech-language pathologist. Treatment will depend on the underlying issue. Stress-reduction techniques like meditation, acupuncture, biofeedback, massage, and yoga may also help. Take care and do keep us posted.
Avatar dr f tn
Thank you Dr Santos. It is reassuring to have a plan to follow. I will see my doctor and speech pathologist. Have a good day.