Stroke Community
Subarachnoid hemorrhage followed by Myocardial infarction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

On 9/18/08 my father (age 67) suffered subarachnoid hemorrhage caused by a ruptured aneurysm. He was immediately taken to the hospital, but the correct diagnosis was made only the next day when Lumbar Puncture was taken. By that time, according to the doctors, the angiography and aneurysm treatment were impossible due to angiospasm, and because both procedures were not available in that facility. Nevertheless, he survived the first three weeks, regained full consciousness and eventually was successfully transported to the surgical center.

On 10/15/08 angiography showed two aneurysms. In the evening following angiography my father was feeling alright: the headache was gone, he could read and even speak a little, but the next day he suffered a heart attack confirmed both by the blood test and EKG. The ultrasound showed a floating blood clot inside the left ventricle. An urgent heart operation was required, but no surgeon was willing to take the risk, because of the ruptured aneurysm. According to them a large quantity of anticoagulants must be pumped into the system before such operation, and the risk is too high that another subarachnoid hemorrhage would follow. On the opposite side, neurosurgeons refused to clip the aneurysms right away after the heart attack.

Few days later an ischemic stroke started to develop, possibly caused by embolus originating from the blood clot in the left ventricle.  Although the CAT scans showed only one small affected area that didn’t grow for the last three days, the symptoms started to progress. Today during my regular visit my father suddenly started to breathe heavily, all his facial muscles became tense, and he was put on a respirator for the first time.
I would appreciate any medical advice on a possible treatment in this situation. The location is Minsk, Belarus, which doesn’t have the best health care system in the world. I’ll provide all the details necessary.