Stroke Community
Swollen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Swollen

I have an elderly Aunt that had a stroke about 6 months ago. She had been in a rehab hospital and recieving therapy. She has improved, but still has deficits. Her left arm and hand are paralyzed and her left leg is weak. She has been able to walk with proper supports.

My question............ My Aunt tells me that her left leg is swollen. Appears to be filled with fluid. She told me that her leg seeps fluid. Enough so that her bed is wet. She said that the "fluid" is thick and sticky. The nurses wrap her leg when this happens and keep it elevated. Her doctor has told her that this "seeping" is a result of the stroke. I have never heard of anything like this. Could you give me a name for this and tell me if there is any treatment or tests that should be run for this condition? Thanks so much for your help.
Avatar n tn
Thank you very much for your response. :) I know that my Aunt has had several blood clots in her leg in the past and is currently taking coumidan to help with that problem. I will pass on your information. Thanks again so much!