Stroke Community
TIA Support

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

TIA Support

Not a question - support for all.  I have had 2 TIA's in one year.  My determination to overcome these episodes - selfishly put myself first - only I can help myself and the way I process my thoughts.  Learn how to productively control stress - stop - sit - remove yourself for a while from a difficult situation - not physically always, but mentally.  Sort out what you can and cannot due - realistically know your limitations - espectations are difficult.  We all expect someone to fix us - not possible.  In my case stress brought these on - with high BP.  The reason for the stress is temporarily still there -I value myself and now have a renewed determination to fix the situation - there will be times I will feel sorry for myself - only human - but will also remind myself - I am important - and continually look for ways to overcome this before the larger stroke has a chance totake over my life.  I may be 54 years "young" - have let major stress control me because I am a fixer for everyone else - no more.  Everyone can make major decisions in their life - stop - slow down - listen to those voices in your mind - they tell you a message if you slow down and listen.
May I suggest to anyone experiencing a TIA to request an unltrasound examination of the Carotid arteries.  Based on my fathers disabling stroke after many TIA's this test could lead to treatment preventing a major stroke.
And when you are told your arteries are 100% clear, so you believe them?  We are all in awe at this but have tried to believe it.  I am 67 years old, take very good care of myself, have had 2 TIA's within a month of each other plus other ones that showed on the CAT that I was not aware of.  I am on 75 mg of Plavix a day, have controlled HBP, well controlled diabetes, hypothryroid.  The hypothroid is questionable as have been on .112 of thyrold for approx 10 years.  Primary care doc tests my thyroid every year and nothing has been changed.  When I had the two TIA's it was pointed out that my TSH was low at .23.  PC doc said she was not concerned.  Doc that took care of me in the hospital lowered my dose to .88.  My head is much clearer and I never realized until now how bad I felt before these TIA's.  I am to have a Bubble Study and Transcranial Doppler done on the 15 th of the month to rule out any problems there.  They tried to tell me in the hospital that my TIA's were brought on by stress and I don't believe it.  If I was having stress it was because the overdose of synthyroid was causing it.  I intend on finding out what my past TSH readings were and for how long.  Everyone needs to take responsiblity for their own health care.  
what do i do??
I had a transient ischemic attack---TIA attack last week and was admitted to Twin Cities hospital for two days.
They ran an abundant amount of tests and they all came back clear.  What do I do now?
There are no drugs to take, because I have no blockage and no residue problems.  He just said to get rid of my stress, I just wanted you to now what happen to me.

shelby12, you're not alone and my support and best wishes. 2 months ago, I was hit with a frightening TIA in the midst of an educational program I was presenting. Blurry vision,
confusing thoughts, couldn't understand the statements made back to me, disconnection
from the group of 25 persons, in other words the whole 9 yards of what's in a TIA. I spent
3 days in the hospital (all the usual tests--MRI, CT scan, catirods, etc.). No causes found, but they diagnosed it as a TIA, which I feel it was. I'm 76 years old, retired, walk daily, and
no health issues. The literature says that one usually returns to "normal" pretty soon after the attack--but I think that's a bunch of bull. I have had many lingering affects: depression, unsettled sleep, etc. Thankfully my internist prescribed xanax and that has helped greatly for my sleep. Also one of the lingering issues is akin to panic reactions, for instance a fear of returning to the room where I experienced the TIA. I'm hopeful the xanax and continuing meditation and stress reduction will help in that. My encouragement to you is to seek the usual tests (MRI, etc.); and know that there are many, many other folks who are frightened too of what a TIA can bring and that you are not alone. May some of the dark clouds clear for you soon.  tomcat626