Stroke Community
TIA and CT Scans

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

TIA and CT Scans

I am a 32 yr old female I have high blood pressure and I am under an extreme amount of stress. I went to the hospital because I woke up with an extreme head ache and the right side of my lip was numb. They thought I had a TIA but the CT Scan showed nothing so they are sending me to a neurologist for more testing. My question is does the CT Scan always show the CT Scan or does it sometimes not?

Not sure about the CT but I wouldn't be surprised if it showed nothing as my CT scan showed nothing after my stroke, only the MRI did.

My advice is, even if it isn't a TIA, treat it as your warning & get your blood pressure under control.  My Blood pressure was the DIRECT cause of my stroke & had no idea it was it that high.  I would hate for you to have to go through what I have been through.

HTH

Sue
Avatar_dr_f_tn

The CT scan is indicated to show prior strokes, bleeds, or signs of acute stroke. Transient ischemic attacks do not usually cause permanent damage in the brain as in stroke. Specialized MRI techniques (perfusion/diffusion imaging) can show changes with this condition. Talk to your doctor about controlling your blood pressure. A low salt diet is highly recommended.

Take care and keep us posted.
on dec 17th my right eye very suddenly went completely black. no sight whatsover. I am disabled but am only 57 and by the time I was able to get ready to go to ER, (about 45 minutes later) I was starting to see light in the outside corner of the eye and I waited to see and it kept slowly comming back , like as if there were a black piece of paper over my eye and someone was slowly sliding it sideways from the outside corner and toward my nose a little at a time. eventually i got the sight back but it was blurry for quite some time. I didn't go to ER since it started comming back. Our insuraance doesn't pay for ER visits.
then on the 28th of dec. at 8 PM i was going to get up from my chair and go to bed. I never made it. I awoke (or came to awareness) still in my chair at 1 AM and I was confused  as i coulcn't remeber anything after 8 PM. I went to get up and realized that I had no strength in my right hand. Then I realized i couldn't even get my hand to come up even with my wrist. it was just hanging there. however i could wiggle my finger, but as they were hanging downward with my hand. I did go to ER this time and they kept me. A CT scan did not show anything and niether did an MRI. So my Dr said it must just be a pinched nerve. Wish I knew where he got his degree at , Id go get one myself as even I know it was no pinched nerve. there was no pain. and TIA's don't always show up. But what worries me is that with a TIA don't you get back whatever was going on during the TIA???? because this is now Jan 1st and I still can"t lift my hand even with my wrist. and if I put my hand (say on the coffee table), I can not only not lift my hand but i can't lift my fingers in an upward motion??? but while it is hanging down, i can move them. Do you know why beings it wasn't a full stroke (as it didn't show up on test as i said) that It doesn't seem as if I'm gonna get the use of my hand back?? God bless you all and Happy New Year!!!!!!!! vestah1
Dr this is vestah1 again. I wanted to add that I do not have high blood pressure. mine is usually 120/80 or lower. Can't beat that. but i am diabetic. not insulin dependant. but i do have diabetic neuropathy quite badly throughout my body. thanks and God bless. vestah1