Stroke Community
TIA and speech problems
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

TIA and speech problems

Good afternoon Dr.,

My grandfather suffered a TIA just over a month ago, where he presented with unilateral weakness, lack of coordination, vertigo, and speech problems.  Although he is in his late 80's, he has always been very active.  The weakness and coordination problems showed quick improvement, but he still has speaking problems.  Initially he had trouble starting to speak, and although this slowly improved, he still has difficulty.  I am not sure whether this is because he cannot physically articulate, or because he can't recall the correct words (I am in another country so cannot see him, only know what I am being told).  In any case, my question is about recovery expectations: I understand that dysfunction resulting from TIAs can resolve quite rapidly, but I also read that for speech problems, these typically show the most improvement in the first couple of weeks.  Does this mean that what he is left with will likely be permanent?  What can be expected in terms of recovery time re. speech function, and for that matter, any other residual problems?  And of course, the omnipresent prognosis issue.  I understand that TIA in elderly especially indicates a much higher risk of a major stroke, but what are the main risk factors that can be used to predict prognosis?

Thank you in advance for your help in providing such valuable information.