Stroke Community
TIA or something else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

TIA or something else?

Hello everyone, I need some advice. This past Saturday, July 6th, my boyfriend had what I think is a possible TIA. Unfortunately, due to lack of funds and always minimizing everything, he is currently refusing to make an appintment to see a medical professional. He was on the couch and got up to come in the kitchen to get a piece of cheese. When he got over there, I asked him what kind he wanted. No response. He was staring at me, his eyes did not appear normal, almost a bit panicked. Blank stare. I asked again. Nothing. I tried to communicate with him for several minutes with no response. After a few minutes, I asked him if he could hear me. I got about half a nod. I asked him if he took any medications, etc., ... about 5 minutes in, he seemed to snap out of it and asked me why I was yelling at him. He tells me he has no recollection of those 5 minutes, remembers being on the couch and the next thing he remembers is me yelling at him in the kitchen.

He has a serious history of alcoholism since age 16, he is now 33. He has also taken some medications, such as xanax recreationally when alcohol is not available. Smokes around a pack a day. He was diagnosed with HBP about 2 years ago, but refused to takethe medication. In looking at his symptoms, the aphasia stood out, but the loss of time almost seems more seizure like then TIA. Most stories I have read, TIA victims have not lost time with their attack.

Thoughts?! I'm apparently more concerned than he is, but my brother had a stroke last year and has some very serious permanent damage from it, but lucky to have his life.
Tags: tia
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, understand your anxiety. TIA or transient ischemic attack, which as the name indicates there is a temporary lack of blood flow to a particular part of the brain. Symptoms such as weakness, confusion, speech difficulties and lack of coordination occur with TIAs. What you have described is like an absence seizure. For seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist. So, if his symptoms reoccur or if he develops additional symptoms, consult your primary care physician and if needed he may refer him to a neurologist. Regards.

You should be concerned about a lot more than his possible TIA.  Why did you choose a serious alcoholic as your boyfriend?  He also abuses drugs and his untreated HBP could kill him with a real stroke.  You could consider therapy to deal with your choice of this boyfriend.
Thank you, I figured as much with tue absence seizure because of the symptoms, thank you. .. To Sara, this is not intended to be a sight for judgemental comments, sorry my life is not as glorious as yours ... but everything in time. thanks for taking the time to read, but some objective answers would have served better than a retard telling me what I already know.