Stroke Community
TIA vs Complicated migraine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

TIA vs Complicated migraine

I had my first TIA on my way to work last month.  It started when I took in a deep breath and felt a terrible pain radiating from my right front center to my right back center, then it was like someone shut the lights out for about 1-2 seconds, very scary driving at 65mph.  I felt very strange and weak then noticed I could not lift my left arm.  I ended up driving myself to the local ER.  Upon getting out of my vehicle, my left leg buckled but I did not fall.  I was worked up, MRA, MRV, CT scans, ECHO, everything.  All had pretty much resolved by the end of 4 hours, then I was hit again, vision was blurry on the left some numbness on the left side of the face, but no drooping and lost about 80% of strength on the left side again.  Resolved for the majority after a few minutes, then completely resolved by the next morning.  All went well that day, then I started getting some numbness and weakness on the left side in the early afternoon which also brought left sided facial drooping.  Very Scary, since I'm a very heathly 47 year old, no medical problems or diseases.  The doctors could only find a PFO, put me on a baby aspirin a day and sent me home. The neurologist stated possible complicated migraine.  I had no headaches.  I ended up back at the same ER 2 days later with left sided weakness, facial drooping and difficulty focusing with my left eye.  Again, all tests run and again nothing was found. I was having difficulty with weakness and numbness in my left leg, NO PAIN,  and gimped for 3 and a half days.  It started getting better at the beginning of the 3rd day, and by 3pm the following day it was completely resolved.   The neurologist wanted a psychological consult since they could find no reason as to why these were happening telling me how sometimes it's real, but there might be something I'm repressing and its affecting me by having stroke-like symptoms.  Well what a diagnosis, how offensive! Did anyone else have any experiences like that?  Since my second discharge I am still experiencing some weakness and numbness and at times I notice saliva pooling at the left corner of my mouth during the numbness.  I don't say anything anylonger, just keep track of time and decide if I need to go the hospital.  I am frustrated, but also am thrilled to hear others have these same symptoms which have left some physicians perplexed.  

There is nothing to be offended about a psychological diagnosis, it's just as real as a physical one & can have equally dramatic affects on your body.

However I would advise a second opinion as your PFO could be throwing little clots that are causing TIA's.  Aspirin may not be enough.  Please get checked out as TIA's are warnings of a full blown stroke waiting to happen.

HTH

Sue
beening diagnosis with complex mirgaines which by definition includes neurological symptoms so yes it is possible however where do you say you are having a headache and not a stroke I think better safe then sorry.