Stroke Expert Forum
TIA

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Strokes.

TIA

I had TIA three days ago, only stayed in the hospital for about nine hours, but never had any scans etc.  Going back for them.  I am 37 years, since coming out of hospital, have had headaches but on the left side of my head, which was the side i lost all the feeling in.  My left hand keeps feeling numb, and I cannot feel my left cheek.  Not sure if this is normal?  Thankyou
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Nicky,

A transient ischemic attack or TIA, often referred to as ‘mini stroke’ is caused by  changes in the blood supply to a particular area of the brain, resulting in brief neurologic dysfunction that lasts for less than 24 hours. If symptoms persist for more than 24 hrs. then it is always categorized as a Stroke. Since you experienced the symptoms three days back and they are still persistent most probably you have suffered a Stroke. The symptoms that you are experiencing- numbness of left hand and cheek also support the probable diagnosis.

A stroke is a medical emergency and may cause permanent neurological damage and serious complications. A stroke can occur due to ischemia (lack of blood supply) caused by thrombosis or embolism or due to a  brain hemorrhage. As a result, the affected area of the brain is unable to function, leading to movement disability on the affected side, inability to understand or speak, or visual disturbance on that side. Stroke symptoms are experienced on the opposite side of the brain that is affected. For example, if there is a clot on the left side of the brain, weakness, numbness or inability to move the arm or leg is experienced on the right side of the body. You must have suffered a stroke on the right side of the brain since you are experiencing the symptoms on the left side of the body.

The diagnostic tests for Stroke include CT scan (without contrast), MRI, Doppler ultrasound and arteriography.  

A stroke is treated with thrombolytics, along with supportive care that includes speech and language therapy and physiotherapy. Secondary prevention of further Strokes can be achieved with antiplatelet drugs like Aspirin and Dipyridamole, controlling blood pressure and carotid endarterectomy and anticoagulation in some patients. The treatment plan depends on the cause of Stroke.
Hope this answer helps you. Please go for the diagnostic tests as soon as possible and start the treatment. Sometimes there are chances of repeated Strokes so a timely treatment is extremely necessary. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!

1 Comment
A related discussion, Husband  suffered a stroke 3 weeks ago was started.