Stroke Community
TIA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

TIA

2 weeks ago, while I was having a conversation with my handyman, I suffered a severe headache, feeling like my head was going to explode.  (A year ago had a heart attack and stent implant.)
My first reaction was to get a painkiller, which I did.  Then I thought I should take my blood pressure, I got my cuff and sat down at the table.  Then before taking my bloodpressure, I thought "what if I'm having a heart attack", so I went to the fridge to get a nitroglycerin and sat back down.  I just barely got the tablet under my toung and passed out.  I went in and out of counciousness for at least 30 minutes.  I know that because it took the ambulance 40 min. to get to my house, even though there is a station at the hospital 10 min. from my house - I know right?
In any even - my blood pressure was at 70/50 (I must assume it was much lower prior to the parametic's arrival) and my puls was 120. (I also suffer from Tachycardia and Prinzmetals angina).
In the hospital a cat scan was performed which proved negative.  However at least 1-1/2 hours had elapsed since the episode.  I still had a headache for some time, despite the Vicodine.
I stayed in the hospital over night, woke with chestpain, I was given a Nitro, which releived the pain. My EKG (which is always abnormal) was also O.K.   My cardiologist could not find an explanation and neither did my Neurologist.
My handyman said I acted goofy, I still will have to sit down with him tomorrow and have him explain what he observed.
I have done extensive research and the only conclusion, considering the symptoms, is a transient ischemic attack (TIA) .I hope someone can shed some light on my issue.
Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? It is good that the diagnostic test results were fine. WEre you able to talk to your handyman? The diagnosis of Transient ischemic attack (TIA)  is indeed possible. This usually occurs when the blood flow to a part of the brain stops for a brief period of time but the blockage breaks up quickly and dissolved. High blood pressure  and family history of stroke are  major risk for TIAs and stroke. And TIAs are a warning sign that stroke may indeed occur. It is  highly recommended that you go for regular follow-up with your attending physician for proper evaluation and management of risk factors to prevent any recurrence of stroke. Take care and do keep us posted.
thank you very much for your response, in the meantime I spoke to my handyman and he told me that, before I lost consciousness, the right side of my body including face was drooping and I tried in vain to put a nitro tablet into my mouth, however I was finally able to do it with my left hand.
As I stated I received a CT scan at the hospital (negative)
I had a tilt-table test (negative)
I had a Holter monitor for 24 hours (negative)
I had and MRI, MRA (both negative)
and I also had an ultrasound of my carotid arteries (have not seen the results to date)

My Neurologist said that it could not have been a TIA, so if not what was it?