TIAs reclassified as strokes
My neurologist reclassified 2 TIAs that I had over the last couple of years as strokes. This means that I have had 4 strokes in the last 18 years (the first might have been a cluster). Has anyone else had TIAs reclassified and does this mean that all that I am doing to avoid strokes (quit smoking-lost weight-got active) doesn't matter? My Dr seems very happy with my life changes.
TIA is a stroke--rather a mini stroke.
Thanks, Hopefullnurse. Actually, I kinda always took that for granted after all I have read on strokes since the first one in '88, however, my neurologist kinda threw a curve at me last week when He said that "...after further review..." the 2 TIAs (that I always was convinced were strokes because I was hospitalized a week at a time) were indeed strokes. There is no new evidence to review. Does that mean the earlier Dr. misdiagnosed? My new Neurologist reread the old MRIs and came to this conclusion. I thought the difference (or one of the differences) between a TIA & a Stroke was evidence of a bleed. That evidence should have been there before, I would think. My right-side paralyses got worse after the last one. I wonder if I should get a lawyer because my whole life changed after these last 2 that were misdiagnosed.
there are different types of strokes.  easiest explaination--ishcemic stroke is caused by a blood clot that blocks or plugs a blood vessel in the brain; a hemorrhagic stroke is a blood vessel that breaks and bleeds into the brain.  you may want to talk to your new neurologist to get a better understanding of what you were first told/compared to now.   good luck.
I had 3 TIAs Oct 2012 was waiting for the big one this year    Now I'm told it can be MS  you get TIA like symptoms too. It gives memory problems  fatigue weakness in arms or legs because it affects the nerves from your brain. They will take fluid from my spine today to see if it is MS. Also if my MRI results show white or black spots means MS.