Stroke Community
Tia-Stroke seizures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Tia-Stroke seizures

I had a tia in 2001. Been on Plavix since 2001. Neurologist thinks my spells are seizures and not more tias or strokes.
Tried seizure medicine and only could take it 3 days. My spells, are extreme weakness, absolutely no energy, more weakness on the left side. Takes 3 to 4 days before I can function properly. I am 83 and very active and still working as a Realtor. In 2001 my TIA caused very little damage. It was on the right side of brain and only lasted a brief time but was sent to the hospital and kept over night. My carotid arteries are cked periodically and am otherwise in fairly good health for 83. Do you think I could have seizures from the TIA that long ago?
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Spinal problems like cervical spondylosis and sciatica can cause weakness and pain. If there is narrowing of the vertebral openings it can compress on the nerve and cause symptoms like pain or weakness of the part innervated by the nerve. The compression needs to be removed for the symptoms to resolve. It could also be seizure activity, only an EEG (electroencephalogram) can help confirm this. This is done under the guidance of a neurologist.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.