Stroke Community
Treatment after TIA or cryptogenic stroke (PFO closure)?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Treatment after TIA or cryptogenic stroke (PFO closure)?

I was diagnosed as having had a TIA one month ago. I was reading a book to my daughter and then was suddenly unable to read the words out loud. Later in the day, my vision was blurry. I went to the emergency room and they admitted me and did all the recommended tests. The MRI revealed I had had a TIA. Later, a TEE revealed that I have a 2 mm PFO. I have also been on Yaz since August. Now, between my PCP, cardiologist and neurologist, nobody seems convinced of how to proceed with treatment. I am on Warfarin, aspirin, and Simvastatin. My LDL's were 140 and I'm not overweight and I have normal to low blood pressure and am 30 years old. I have headaches every day since I've been on this medication. I don't know if I should have the PFO closure, continue the meds or do nothing. Of course I have stopped taking the birth control pill.
Please advise. Thanks!