Stroke Community
Use of BOTOX for spasticity in leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Use of BOTOX for spasticity in leg

My husband had an ischemic stroke 1.5 years ago, leaving his left arm useless and walking problemetic.  He received his first injections (3) of BOTOX in his left leg mid December/06. The idea was to reduce the spasticity in his left leg to help the foot lie flat and reduce pain while walking.  The pamphlet said that it usually takes 1 to 2 weeks for the BOTOX to take effect.  The only thing we've seen is a small improvement in the ability to move the foot (when I'm doing the moving for him) when he is in a prone position.  When he is up and walking with his cane, the toes curl and the foot contracts once again, causing him pain as he walks on the side of the foot.  He also wears a brace to help his ankle from going over. The foot part of the brace is a hard, solid piece of molded plastic.  Has anyone had success with BOTOX?  Does it take a number of injections to realize the full effect?  Maybe the 3 weeks that he's had just isn't enough time.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Hello
My mother had a serious stroke 4 years ago and is living with us. She is paralyzed on the right side and cannot speak at all.  I understand about the AFO you discussed and the foot drop and curl in so the patient cannot walk.  We have been doing Botox in my mothers leg and arm for almost a year. What we have found is that it does improve spacticity. Without the Botox myself or the caregivers could not get her foot in the AFO (brace).  Her heel would not go down into the heel of the brace.  With Botox, we can at least get her foot in the brace.  She still needs MAX assistance when she walks as her balance is way off.  The Botox does loosen up her wrist a bit, but not much.  Her hand can relax and be open so we don't have the problems with the fisted hand.  I would say Botox does work to a certain degree, but don't expect miracles from it..it just loosens the affected area a little and then it wears off after about 6 weeks.   We have mother getting Botox in arm and leg every six weeks.  Medicare does pay for this through her Neurologist.  I hope this helps and good luck.  I know it is not easy taking care of a stroke patient at home.
Ask the doctor if the baclofen pump can help.