Stroke Community
Was told stroke, then not on MRI what else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

hello,
I am 43 I have Antiphosopholipid syndrome(many Pe's with filter and without, ischemic colitis, dvt's) Lupus, Celiac and hypothyroid.  4 weeks ago I had first part of jaw replacement surgery.  They removed bone and replaced with siliccone.  I am suppose to go back to put new jaw in when it is made.  The problem and question is,
Right after surgery I had severe headache, and my left arm was numb and tingling.  Understandable, just had surgery.  The Dr would not give me my blood thinners despite 16 year history with throwing clots.  Drove home 3 1/2 hours 4 days after surgery.  Finally, I was given blood thinners about a week later from my hemotologist (we were in a different state for surgery).  I had that feeling something is terribly wrong, I repeated it to my husband over and over.  I called and made appointments with Neurologist, pain clinic and eye Dr.  My vision on left is almost gone, my face is drooped and have "bells Palsy" on left side.  

When I went to neurologist, they were seeing me for "numb tingling arm" not face since that was surgical related. I had a terrible headache my left arm felt worse then ever, my jaw pain was not able to be controlled. I kept stumbling when I walked and was confused. They tested me, my left side leg foot toe, thigh arm ect.. Nothing would move on left despite me trying, I burst into tears as I knew this was bad, I was scared.  I was sent for MRI which they did 4 days late, but told this was a stroke by Neurologist at the time of visit. I was back on Lovenox and that is all that can be done. The following night after Neuro visit,after I went to bathroom which is last I remember I was slurring my words and blacked out.   I said my knee hurt and then my husband grabbed me there went the whole left side. Since then I can barely walk, I drag my leg, I cant dress myself, or anything. I am scared and dont know what to do.Went to pain clinic and Dr there said it looked pretty severe stroke.  

To our surprise, MRI (done 4 days after neuro visit and while on blood thinners 11 days) it was "negative".  We called Dr offie several times to tell them symptoms are worse, what do we do.  What else can this be, can MRI be wrong,or read wrong, could this be TIA and not show up,could it have been TIA and stroke happened after MRI or right before and not be there yet? Dr will not speak to us and nurse said she was told it is not serious.  I am so scared I cry all the time, I cant walk or do anything. My Whole left side is num, weak and barely functions.  My family and friends are scared and worried. Also My vision is almost gone on left eye dr thinks it was a blood clot in my eye.  The Neuro wants to set up nerve study, I need answers what to do now.

Please help me, what else could cause this? I have no signs of anything on right side.  Should I go to ER ? Can nerves in face cause whole left side to be parylised?  Can being on lovenox 11+ days before MRI affect results? Would TIA's show up on MRI? My headache is on top of head and on right side and in Back of head on right side.  Surgery for joint removal was on left jaw, arthroscopic surgery was on right jaw.   Also, need a new Dr for part 2 of jaw replacement which is suppose to be done in 3 weeks.  

Thanks So much,

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The left sided weakness and numbness is due to stroke. The facial palsy is also due to the stroke. Strokes can be caused by either clots or bleeds. With your history positive for clots, its likely to be an ischemic stroke. Sometimes you start with a clot, take anticoagulants and end up with a bleed. TIAs may not be picked up on MRI and if suspected therapy is with blood thinners. Its unfortunate that you had TIAs and progressed to a complete stroke. Some stroke patients do appear to have 100 percent recovery. And many retain a great deal of their abilities. If the "stroke" is stabilized, and there is no further bleeding or clotting I would remain optimistic.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.