Stroke Community
What do I do Now?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

What do I do Now?

Greetings inquisitive one;
  I suffered a right frontal stroke. It took place in the front center, and I never knew knew it for almost six months. It changed my personality so dramatically that I lost my marriage, my home, my 2 businesses and most of my friends in less than 2 months.  Apparently, I lost whatever gave value to everything that I had ever learned and experienced, or whatever emotional connection I once had held. Any religious, cultural, racial, moral, or social belief systems I once held, have been deleted from my brain.  After all of the chaos,  I tried to turn towards different faiths that I had once practiced and studied for years, and it all meant nothing to me.It seemed like a real waste of time. Although this stroke displayed no apparent physiological anomalies, It removed from me who and what I was. Now, I am so different from my own species that don't even know how to socially and acceptably interact with them.  I remain isolated day after day, week after week, year after year and have been unable to establish any new friendships. I have no body clock to keep me established on a regular routine. I never am hungry and only eat a good meal once a day because I know that I have to. No kind of food ever sounds good to me.  I have no complexes or inhibitions that I can recognize, as I seem to have lost them all, and although I don't lie, cheat, steal, cause harm, or display signs of aggression, people regard me a confrontational because I seem to behave indifferently or too analytically towards everything.  Does this mean that I have to live out the rest of my life as a pariah of society?  What am I supposed to do? I have so many skills and talents, but no one to share them with.  I am classified as permanently disabled and live off of my Veterans disability pension and seem to be serving out the rest of my life like a prison sentence and I don't even have a criminal record.  
   I've seen doctors, but their only solution is medication, of which it was Lexapro that I was taking which caused this to happen in the first place, so I'm a bit reluctant to say the least.  
  On the brighter side of things,  I seem to have developed some perceptual abilities that are eerily uncanny.  I wish I could explain it to somebody, but I have no one to talk to.  I have spoken with psychologists and even a psychiatrist once but I don't seem to apply to what they are taught in medical school because I am presently rewired differently and there seem to be no manuals on cases such as myself.  
   I am open to tangible suggestions, should any even exist.
                                   Be kind to yourselves.   Ron  

Tags: Right Frontal Stroke, Lexapro and Brain Bleeds
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Ron,
How are you? It is good that you were able to talk to several doctors already. While this could be associated with the stroke and medications you took, it would be very helpful if you go for follow-up also for possible medication change or adjustment and  to discuss the management plan. It doesn't have to mean that you will be isolated and stay to be this way permanently. Referral to other specialists or psychologists and seeking other doctor's opinion may also help. Take care always.